Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD any good as moniter?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of replaceing a seperate tv and computer moniter with a 32" LCD tv with VGA and HDMI computer input, does the computer look good on any of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Meh, I wouldn't.
    Unless you're going for an absolutely top of the range LCD tv, the quality is going to be a bit on the crap side... a cheap 32" monitor it ain't... at least not by my standards... an impressive companion to your normal monitor, but a replacement? Nah.
    If it were me, I'd get a good quality 20"-24" LCD for the computer and hold off buying a HDTV until you can buy reasonably priced ones that aren't total crap, and until high-def tv/movies become a bit more cheap and mainstream.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

1080p ones should look super for the computer. 720p would be a bit cramped. Response times would be important if you intend gaming on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is greyscale performance issue... washed out blacks and blown out whites may not be that noticeable for general TV viewing, but you'll damn sure notice it if you're browsing your photos... I had a cheap(ish) 32" LCD tv hooked up (over hdmi) as a desktop clone of my Dell 2007FWP (20" LCD monitor), both active at once and the difference was staggering... even ignoring the resolution difference, the amount of detail I lost from photos due to the muddy blacks and blown out whites... I could never use it as a replacement.
    tbh, I think resolution isn't the only reason proper 30" LCD computer monitors cost close to two grand.
    As I say, if you're thinking of using a relatively inexpensive LCD tv as a computer monitor, you may be very dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD and 22" LG monitor and to be quite honest
    I rarely use the LCD for computer tasks. The LCD and PC are connected on mine via HDMI to HDMI.
    My opinion? A monitor will do just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

What i want to do is raplace a computer moniter and a tv with just one screen about 32" i would have a computer nd a xbox connected into this

• Advertisement
Advertisement