Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance -- Burgular Alarm

Options
  • 10-10-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Just wondering of anyone has an opinion on the following. I renewed my insurance last week with Eagle Star (through Cornmarket). I enquired about some clause regarding burgular alarms and asked the rep about it. Basically he said that if I didn't have a burgular alarm fitted (which I had indicated on the application form) then in the event of a break-in the insurance company could either (a) choose not to payout or (b) increase the excess I would have to pay.
    Surely this can't be right? I mean what's the point asking if you have a burgualr alarm fitted if they can just not payout in the event of a claim. The guy on the phone said it was regular practice amongst insurance companies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

The insurance company I work for (not Eagle Star) gives a discount if you have a burglar alarm.

That sounds strange, read your policy documentation closely and ring Eagle Star direct if you find nothing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yeah, I might ring Eagle Star directly alright. Incidentally, if it proves to be the case can I switch insurance companies before the renewal date and get a refund (full or partial) from my current insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Not being smart but, again, Eagle Star are the crowd to ask! Depends on your policy conditions. Most companies will repay you on a pro rata basis although there may be some form of cancellation/admin fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The insurance company I work for does give refunds, less the admin fee. It's not Eagle Star though. Ask your broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

mordeith wrote: »
    Just wondering of anyone has an opinion on the following. I renewed my insurance last week with Eagle Star (through Cornmarket). I enquired about some clause regarding burgular alarms and asked the rep about it. Basically he said that if I didn't have a burgular alarm fitted (which I had indicated on the application form) then in the event of a break-in the insurance company could either (a) choose not to payout or (b) increase the excess I would have to pay.
    Surely this can't be right? I mean what's the point asking if you have a burgualr alarm fitted if they can just not payout in the event of a claim. The guy on the phone said it was regular practice amongst insurance companies.

Sounds like the rep on the phone either does not know what he is talking about or misunderstood you.

The reason they ask if you have one is because it entitles you to a discount, if you dont you dont get the discount, end of story. When it comes to making a claim if you stated you did not have an alarm fitted and did not recieve the discount why would they refuse to pay out or increase the excess ? Seems there are wires crossed somewhere.

With regard to claiming a discount for an alarm and making a claim and the insurance company finding out the alarm was not set there is a myth that they will not pay out, i have never heard of anyone refusing to pay out because an alarm was not set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement