Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to sell laptop?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 3:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per an earlier thread, I'm shortly going to be upgrading my laptop, and there's no point in keeping my current one around. I'm looking at selling it, but I'm not sure what the best way is. It's a Dell Inspiron 6000, 2 years old, 80 GB HD and 768 RAM. It's still in near perfect condition, but the screen is damaged. The casing is cracked so the lid can't be put down properly (it separated down the side around a hinge - I don't know why). That wasn't a huge problem, but now 1/3 of the LCD screen is just white. The rest of the computer is perfect, and I'd keep it if it wasn't for the screen.

Obviously I can't sell it as perfect. I was thinking about selling all but the screen on eBay, but I can't find anything on there to compare. I could see the whole thing, but I don't know what it's worth. Should I try and sell it to a computer store or something?

Please don't suggest Adverts.ie as I'm primarily based in the UK!

I don't know if anyone can offer any advice on this, but it'd be great if you could!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

I would suggest buying a new screen, dont cost too much and you'll get as much profit as possible via the sale. Selling a two year old laptop in parts on eBay probably won't do the may west.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I personally wouldn't bother buying a new screen, I can't see how it would be worth it.

TBH, the only real option I think is Ebay for parts. Failing that, friends/family or on a college noticeboard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd have to agree with tom. There is bound to be someone who needs old parts for a laptop they are upgrading or fixing. Ebay is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

I guess it depends on how much money you want over how quickly you want it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think selling it for parts is the best way to go too. Should I break it up into parts and sell them separately? Problem is, I pretty much only know the battery and the AC power cord!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Faith wrote:
    I think selling it for parts is the best way to go too. Should I break it up into parts and sell them separately? Problem is, I pretty much only know the battery and the AC power cord!

Nah just sell it as one whole unit. Make sure and tell them that the screen is broken.

Thanks AC. How much should I price it at though? Given that it's still fully (if not ideally) functional. Like I said, the casing is cracked with a broken hinge, and 1/3 of the screen is damaged. Other than that, it's perfect.

/edit: Prices on ebay are ranging from £50 to £200 for the same thing.

I wouldn't have a notion what to price it at faith sorry. Check the Computers & Technology forum. There is a stickey there called 'How much is my computer worth?', put a post in there and they will tell you what they think.

Ah, I knew I'd seen that sticky somewhere and I couldn't remember where! Cheers!

Advertisement