Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Drier Purchased 15 days ago - My Rights?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a Condensor Drier in a well known Electrical multiple 15 days ago. Today it has started tripping the main board switch in my house.

I have no interest in a service call as I have now no faith in this product. Google returns details of similar issues with this model. I would sooner return the item for a replacement of a different make/model (likely to be more expensive). What are my rights here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You can ask for a refund, but you may not get one. You are entitled to repair/replacement at the discretion of the shop. They may offer to replace it with the same model, and I think you might have to accept this. Though obviously in the name of good customer service they should offer you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Engineer will have to go out and take a look regardless of what you would like. After 15 days getting a direct replacement or a refund really shouldnt be a big deal but the first step is getting an engineer out to verify the fault.

Could even be working fine they use a massive amount of juice your breaker could just be overloading if you havent had a dryer in that socket before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Thanks for the replies. There has been a drier on that socket for the past 6 years. We have a young child in the house and the old one and new one are on a few hours a night so I don't think there is an issue with the board.

The issue initially appeared today when there was nothing else drawing power. Every time I switched on drier the switch tripped. Leaving it off all was fine. I even tried a different socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

consumers association of ireland

"You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.
    You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as 'No Refunds' or 'No Exchanges'. Such notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act see Retailers' responses."

Doesn't say you have to accept a service call.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Your breaker is probably overloading, it overloads when the heater in the drier trips on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Doesn't say you have to accept a service call.

How is the retailer suppossed to establish if the dryer is faulty then? An end user isnt qualified to make that diagnosis.

Just out of curiosity you didnt cut the end off the plug to put it up through the worktop did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

consumers association of ireland

You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.
    Keyword insist. You can insist away, but at the end of the day it's really at the discretion of the retailer as to what happens. They have a right to ensure the unit genuinely is faulty before it is replaced/returned.

OP, since you got the drier have you both cleaned AND emptied the condensor unit in the drier? On many condensor driers (Hotpoint's especially), if you do not clean the filter (after EVERY cycle) and condensor unit (check it every week or so if you use the drier regularly), and empty the tank (again, after EVERY cycle), the condensor becomes clogged with fluff. This stops the water getting into the tank, making it back up and spill out onto the heating element connections causing a short out which will cause your board or fuses to trip or blow. I've seen this crop up a number of times in the past few months with people not cleaning and maintaining the condensor unit!

OK. Shop had a 28 day replace/refund policy but there had to be a service call to determine that there was a fault.

After 1 week we eventually had a service engineer call who said he was instructed by the manufacturer to repair the unit. I let him do his stuff and when he left I rang the retailer and said I was not happy with a machine that had an issue after 3 weeks. I stated I wanted to exchange the unit and possibly purchase a "better" (more expensive) brand. Within an hour I got a call back from their customer services person and they said to bring the unit back in and I could exchange it.

Unfortunately there was not a great selection of units in stock when I returned the unit. The models in stock were of the same company family as the item I was returning. I asked if a refund would be possible and I received one without any hassle. The store in question was Currys. I would like to commend them for their excellent customer service in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I have a Hotpoint Ultima with a simmilar issue.Is this the model you were having problems with?

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

TBH it doesn't matter what the shop's policy is you would be entitled to a fully refund here. You would have to let them inspect the goods first though to make sure they are faulty (and obviously that the goods didn't become faulty from misuse) but if they are then there is no question that a refund can be demanded no matter what the shop's policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

eg a faulty wired plug will trip MCB!

Advertisement