Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning an xbox360

Options
  • 10-10-2007 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i bought an xbox360 in GameStop on Sunday. After playing it for a few hours (Halo 3) i'm more than a little dissappointed with it. The noise of the cooling fans and the disk drive spinning up is genuinely uncomfortable for me to listen too. I have good hearing so i generally dont have the sound up high but i'm finding i have to turn it up quite a bit to drown out the noise. This seems to make it e appear even worse at quiet parts in the game like loading and pauseing etc. Now apparently this is not a fault it's just the way they are and i didnt know.

Anyway my question is do i have an legal right to return the product such as a cooling off period etc or will i just have to chance my arm and blag my money back.

Thanks in advance guys.

Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since there's nothing wrong with it I think this comes under the "changing your mind" category, in which case you are legally entitled to nothing. The shop may, at their discretion, offer you a refund or store credit but are not obliged to.

Might be best to ring the shop and ask for the manager, since a store assistant will most likely not be able to help you, and explain your situation. If you say your interested in purchasing a Wii or PS3 instead of the Xbox then they might help, but a refund is most likely going to be off the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

yeah i thought it was that way, might just keep it. What about on grounds of not being happy with the price you paid? Say i saw it somewhere else cheaper and feel i've paid over the odds. This might actually be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Some shops do a "if you see it cheaper elsewhere we'll refund the difference" type offer but it wouldn't get you your money back. Gamestop don't do this offer anyway though I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Not a chance tbh. Once it's opened it's no longer new so couldn't be sold on. Just because you change your mind doesn't mean you're entitled to anything, especially as the product would be completely useless to the company in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

yeah i thought it was that way, might just keep it. What about on grounds of not being happy with the price you paid? Say i saw it somewhere else cheaper and feel i've paid over the odds. This might actually be true.

You were happy enough with the price when you got it. You have no recourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Unless you can make a case that it is 'not fit for purpose', you don't have any legal rights to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Is it really that noisy? Maybe something wrong with fans or cooling on it? Seen this on some website

Mine was also incredibly noisy, even without a disk inserted.

However I had heard friends boxes and they were much quieter.

I phoned MS support and they arranged for a swap out. (I just explained about the noise levels and mentioned that I had heard other quieter boxes)

The whole process to 5 days, and this was the week leading up to xmas.

I am happy to report that the new box is much better. just a gentle hum without a disk (i.e. playing arcade, or just on the dash). It is still noisy when playing a game though).

I know its under warranty but Link

Unless you can make a case that it is 'not fit for purpose', you don't have any legal rights to a refund.

Well the disk drive spinning and the fans would make it imposible to watch a movie or other media comfortably tbh. which is one if its intended purposes.
    Maybe someone else can back me up here the drive is the loudest i've ever heard the first time i turned it on and inserted a disk i was genuinely shocked at the noise level. My problem is that it's not a fault it's more a design flaw.

Not a chance tbh. Once it's opened it's no longer new so couldn't be sold on. Just because you change your mind doesn't mean you're entitled to anything, especially as the product would be completely useless to the company in this case.

Well i've kept all the packaging perfect, no rips or tares, i always do for a while. If i repacked it do you think there is any hope.

I'd also like to point out that this isn't a simple change of mind, i have a genuine complaint about the noise levels produced by the drive and the fans i personally think the box should carry a warning. If it weren't for the noise levels i wouldn't be here. I am otherwise happy with the product but the fact that it's not a fault and therefore cannot be fixed by repair or replacement ie a new wont be quieter, i'd like to reconsider my purchase given that i was unaware of this issue before i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Even if you repack it it still won't be new. It will still have been opened and things moved around. It is now second hand. If you are unhappy tbh your only chances really are either selling it or trading it in. It seems as if you're just picking at faults to be honest. I've never found the sound of a 360 to be uncomfortable. If it was faulty you'd have a genuine complaint but it does seem to me like you're just clutching for any reason to get your money back. You changed your mind, that's all. You are not entitled to anything because of that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At the end of the day consumer beware, customers should always shop around before buying so you have no case with this either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

A shop is entitled to charge what it likes for a product or service, if the price was set it would be anti-competitive and that would be illegal.

Different shops would have different costs which they must take into account when setting a price, for example a modern shop in the centre of Dublin would have higher costs than an old fashioned shop down the country eg rent, rates, esb, staff etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 -Cerberus-

The 360 is noisy. I was suprised when I got mine how loud it was but after a while you don't even notice it anymore. PS3 and Wii are very quiet in comparison. Wouldn't be using the 360 to play DVDs though,some of the drives ruin them, although I believe the newer philips drives are better.

Just to update you i brought it back today and managed to get a refund in store credit. i felt i had already pushed my luck enough and didnt ask for it in cash as it took 15 mins of talking to get that far and had the feeling i would have been told to F off if i did( and rightly so).

Went straight to Virgin where i got a ps3 with extra controller and three (Genji, Heavenly sword and motor storm)games for 500. Savage deal as they accidendtly advertised it with 3 games when the deal was for only 2. the guy told me this and believe it or not i said fine and i understand and i'd take it with 2 as it was still a good deal but the manager who was beside him at the time said to give it to me anyway, i was shocked as i didnt argue at all when he pointed out the mistake. Now on i'm doin all my shoppin at Virgin. Btw if anyone cares to know they seem to have the best deals on Xboxes aswell check em out if there is one near you.

Only 'downside' i guess is i now have a store credit giftcard for 512 euro. Guess everyone is getting games from gamestop for xmas from me this year.

I am also doin the lotto this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Your just lucky that you didn't have to bring your Xbox back with the Red Ring of Death lights on it!!..

I've gotten three Xbox 360's off Micro$oft in the last year....current one has lasted nearly 4 months now...im so happy....hopefully I wont have to change it now till after Xmas... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if those machines are really that noisy then people buying them should have recourse and should recieve a refund say up to a week or ten days after purchase, as they will not be "fit for purpose"

Advertisement