Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United States Postal Service

Options
  • 10-10-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I ordered a package from the US last week. It was shipped by the US postal Service on the 4th October. The tracking info is as follows
    Label/Receipt Number: ECxx xxxx xxxU S

Your item left the United States from SAN FRANCISCO at 8:57 PM on October 4, 2007. Information, if available, is updated every evening.

Does anyone know which company will be used to deliver the package to me once it arrives here (surely it's arrived here by now!)

I've already checked with GLS (who are a bunch of monkeys, their customer services guy actually told me it was his first day and he didn't know... he then hung up on me!!! :eek: )

An post although friendly and very helpful didn't have any information on the package or tracking number.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Maybe try getting in contact with whoever you ordered the package from? the 4th of October isn't that long ago, I've often heard of friends who have had to wait weeks for packages from SF and other US cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

I got it from a guy on ebay.

I did ask him what the story was and he wasn't very helpful. His reply was
    since its over USA you can check same tracking number true your official post service who will deliver to you - the also track that.

not very much help as you can see.

a week to arrive using express mail? Isn't that a bit long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

No, the fastest postage i've ever gotten from the US has taken 2 weeks.

Now it's not express, but I certainly wouldn't expect it within 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

YOu are certainly being a bit hopeful of getting it that quick but I got stuff delivered a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered by Anpost so the deal with GLS must be finished.

Tippex wrote:
    YOu are certainly being a bit hopeful of getting it that quick but I got stuff delivered a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered by Anpost so the deal with GLS must be finished.

I selected the overnight(business days) delivery option for shipping so I don't think i'm being a bit hopeful if it hasn't arrived by now.

Ordered Tuesday, Shipped Thursday..... Arrive Monday. Now Wednesday, still no package.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Customs will probably have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've had to wait a week for packages sent by DHL/Fedex and they are usually very fast. I've waited over 3 weeks for some packages sent via USPS, sometimes Ebayers accept your payment for overnight but send the package by regular post. Your package could be held by customs if its of any value.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Customs will probably have it.

And how do I get it from them?

Surely if customs have it then Anpost will have had some information on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Chunks wrote:
    And how do I get it from them?

Surely if customs have it then Anpost will have had some information on it?

You'll be informed by them if they have it. Overnight delivery would have been in the States so paying the extra won't have helped. Best guess it's still in transit.

xebec wrote:
    Overnight delivery would have been in the States so paying the extra won't have helped. Best guess it's still in transit.

The cheating mother****ers! Kinda defeats the whole purpose of 'overnight delivery' if they only offer it in their home country. Sounds more to me like this cheating ****er has screwed me on the shipping but taken a higher payment for overnight delivery.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Chunks wrote:
    The cheating mother****ers! Kinda defeats the whole purpose of 'overnight delivery' if they only offer it in their home country. Sounds more to me like this cheating ****er has screwed me on the shipping but taken a higher payment for overnight delivery.:mad:

I thought that would have been obvious.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Maybe to you it was. Very helpful comment all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i ordered a laptop charger from san fransisco in the summer, ordered it thursday night, got it monday morning, with th rest of the post, it came through an post from usps (it was through amazon, and i paid for express)

JIZZLORD wrote:
    i ordered a laptop charger from san fransisco in the summer, ordered it thursday night, got it monday morning, with th rest of the post, it came through an post from usps (it was through amazon, and i paid for express)

Thanks for that mate, I was looking for a comparison. At least now I know that the USPS express works as they advertise. Makes it look even more like i've been duped out of my express option but paid full whack for a crappy slow version.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

afaik, tracking numbers for the likes of usps will only track within the us. The tracking stops when it leaves the country. The only companies which i know of which provide tracking across countries are the likes of DHL which handle all stages of the delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Chunks wrote:
    Thanks for that mate, I was looking for a comparison. At least now I know that the USPS express works as they advertise. Makes it look even more like i've been duped out of my express option but paid full whack for a crappy slow version.:mad:
    When it arries the cost should be on the front so at least you can know for sure.

themole wrote:
    When it arries the cost should be on the front so at least you can know for sure.

aha! good stuff. so if he is in fact screwing me over shipping i'll let rip on him so. what's the best way to get money back from a shop on ebay?

Chunks wrote:
    aha! good stuff. so if he is in fact screwing me over shipping i'll let rip on him so. what's the best way to get money back from a shop on ebay?
    Email him and tell him that if he doesn't refund the difference you will leave negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Mossy Monk wrote:
    I also agree that it should have been rather obvious. It takes week(s) for stuff to come from the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

themole wrote:
    afaik, tracking numbers for the likes of usps will only track within the us. The tracking stops when it leaves the country. The only companies which i know of which provide tracking across countries are the likes of DHL which handle all stages of the delivery.

Not true, I'm tracking a package on the UPS website that is going from VA, USA to Dublin. Working fine, it's been through 3 countries so far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I had a pair of oakleys shipped via USPS flat rate intl envelope last month from Idaho. $11 for any weight up to 4lbs. The glasses arrived in less than a week.
    Couriers are a waste of money and you're far more likely to have to have the item go through stringent custom's checks, thus delivery takes longer and you may end up with another bill. I've yet to have anything from the US/Canada take any longer than 2 weeks (except for one box that came surface mail; 2 months lol)
    An Post handles all USPS's stuff in my experience, even their registered post.

People really ought to know what they're paying for when buying delivery options on eBay....all major post offices have websites with shipping cost calculators on them.
    I too thought overnight shipping would obviously only have been in 50 states....did you think superman was going to hand deliver it or something?

[edit] JoeRobot: UPS != USPS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wertz wrote:
    ...I too thought overnight shipping would obviously only have been in 50 states....did you think superman was going to hand deliver it or something?
    Snigger - - - - - - thanks for the laugh Wertz.

Joe Robot wrote:
    Not true, I'm tracking a package on the UPS website that is going from VA, USA to Dublin. Working fine, it's been through 3 countries so far. :)
    UPS is a courier service like DHL or Fedex.
    USPS is a postal service like An Post or Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I got something at the highest rate from the US and the service was amazing:

I was looking at the tracking and it was like:
    Monday 16:00 PST, receveived at xyz PO
    20:50 PST checked in at xyz airport.
    Tuesday 10:00 GMT checked at heathrow airport.
    16:00 GMT left Heathrow
    20:00 GMT checked Dublin airport
    Wed 07:00 Left Dublin depot
    09:20 signed for by ........ and address .........

Cool watching it all the way!

DonJose wrote:
    UPS is a courier service like DHL or Fedex.
    USPS is a postal service like An Post or Royal Mail.

Oops my bad, I read that wrong. :o

Anyways, sometimes USPS is pretty damn slow, other times its faster than DHL or UPS. I've had packages delivered by USPS within 3 days.

The ******* package still hasn't arrived! I rang anpost and they were surprised it hadn't landed here yet. I even checked with customs and got some inbred hick of a moon cow telling me it hadn't arrived there either. where the hell is it?! USPS were just as bad, they just looked at the tracking screen and emailed it to me when I queried them..... If I had wanted the tracking info i would have looked at the tracking screen you stupid fat american bitch!

The seller is as bad as USPS(probably fatter too, if possible) he just keeps spouting out the same info as USPS.

If there's a USPS tracking number then it was shipped, but if there's no info of it ever arriving here then it's either lost or still in transit.... even though I paid the highest rate for the quickest shipping method...

I just don't understand. I hated americans before this... if it's possible, I hate them even more now. :mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

US Postal Service = snail mail! Use FedEx next time... Wilson!

Jeez you think thats bad, my package sent by UPS has been in Dublin a week. The driver keeps going over to the other side of the city nowhere near my address. Actually theres only one other similar road like mine and its not far from here. :mad:

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Jeez you think thats bad, my package sent by UPS has been in Dublin a week. The driver keeps going over to the other side of the city nowhere near my address. Actually theres only one other similar road like mine and its not far from here. :mad:

Can you not get onto a manager and make a complaint and insist that the company is causing you to lose income as a result of the package not arriving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

If it was sent by USPS then An Post will deliver it here. Put the tracking number in to the tracking page on the An Post website. That will tell you if it has at last arrived in this country.

Advertisement