Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My external hardrive has died :-(

Options
  • 10-10-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Fell on the floor the other day and since it won't turn on. Just beeps and then swirls around for a bit. The light still goes on and everything though.

Took it out of it's case and tried putting it in the pc and I get the same beeping noise :(

I have 200 gigs worth of stuff on it, some of the things i'm not that bothered about (films,installation programs,pictures) but I have over a thousand albums and a lot of photos that are very important to me...

I think I'm going to try and get the data recovered, has anyone done this before and who's the best company to get it done by? And more importantly how much is it going to cost :confused:

If anyone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm quite annoyed, more at myself for not backing everything up. And also for dropping it on the floor in the first place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

no one able to help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

There was a thread last week quoting €800 to get data recovered on an external hard drive by a company.

Have you tried any data recovery software?

Same thing has happened one of mine. Havn't tried any software yet though.

nope downloaded a program recommended on a forum yesterday. going to try it out this evening. but i'm not that confident seeing as my pc isn't even recognizing the hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Recovery software will normally only do if the hardware is undamaged - say you accidentally format the disk or something. If its taken a knock its probably fcuked. A recovery company probably could get the data back but it'll cost a fortune.

anyone had any experience with a recovery company? seen one in belfast that does it for £299,99 at the moment. I suppose that's not too bad, seeing as what I have on the drive is worth far more than that to me.

• Advertisement

no one else able to give any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 conhoe

howya, you should try the Buy and Sell under computer software and look out for guys advertising recovery/repair! I saw once an ad a few months back that advertised "lost memory/damaged hdd/all repairs to internal and external components" , so maybe if he's still on it he might be of help to you or might be able to advise you of someone in your area. Hope it helps
    Conhoe

cheers conhoe. had a look on buyandsell. nothing there at the moment though :-(

contacted one company in belfast, easyrecovery.co.uk. they state on their website that "all external disk recovery is £249,99". sent an e-mail and they replied saying it would cost between £600 and £800 !!! no explanation whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I lost a 320gb external a few months ago, was way to expensive to get the data recovered. Thankfully there was no important personal data on it. But i have managed to re-download almost every thing i lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

My 500GB drive failed recently. Tried a program called O&O Disk Recovery which found all the files, took a couple of days though!

It will rename all the files to "file00001" etc, but you should try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

To be honest, if it was dropped recovery is very unlikely. If you look at the internals of a hard drive, the sheer force from a drop to the floor would probably send the head straight through a number of the platters.

i tried a recovery program the other day. my pc managed to read the hard drive (couldn't access anything on it though) but the program crashes as soon as i do a scan for the files. works ok once i disconnect the hard drive though.

might give that other program a go this evening.

i'm not bothered about most of the stuff because i can just download it all again. it's just the photos that are quite important to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

Do you still need the data recovered ?

I run an I.T company and we are resellers for Drivesavers..... the cost is nothing if the data cannot be recovered...

I will drop you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

FRM wrote: »
    Do you still need the data recovered ?

I run an I.T company and we are resellers for Drivesavers..... the cost is nothing if the data cannot be recovered...

I will drop you a PM.

And what would be the cost if the data is recovered?

FRM is a really helpfull bloke. thanks again. he's getting a quote for me.

Advertisement