Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodturning

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello to all, I live in the Carlow area and would like to know if there are any Woodturners within a 20mls radius who would let me visit their shop . It would be just for a couple of hours when they are turning something so that I could get an idea of what is involved.
    I'm sorry to say that the mobility is not as good as it used to be ,and I'm finding it harder to move around and do the bits and pieces that's involved no matter what kind of woodwork you do. I'm just a hobbiest making mostly garden furniture and pieces for the house.
    I dont want to give up working with wood altogether I love it too much, and I'm hopeing that turning would still keep me involved and not be as strenuous . So if there is anybody who would give me an insight into it before I buy a lathe and then discover that I cant work with it I would be much obliged. Regds. Boysie39

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

you are very welcome to my workshop in county down - but i guess taht is too far. you can view my work at
    www.tulipwoodcrafts.co.uk

have you joined
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irelandwoodturners/
    you will be able to find a member of that group a bit closer to you....and if you cant it is worth it for toher bits of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

geoff, Thanks for the reply it is a bit far ,but you never know "maybe one day",Iclicked on to your site, wow thats some pieces you've turned out.
    It must give you some pleasure towork to that standard. It's beautiful stuff long may the gift be with you.If I get the chance I most certainly will visit and thanks for the web sites you suggested, Regds. Boysie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you could check the irish woodturners guild generally a friendly lot, their website is http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com look at the chapters and see which is closest to you ( i guess gorey but my midlands geography aint great) worth ringing the secretary and seeing if they know anyone in your area
    sorry midland chapter - contact details are on the website above they cover kildare, carlow, meath and kildare -theyd know whos in your area

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Boysie39,

My workshop is currently home to a 3/4 restored beetle, numerous woodworking machines, 2 lathes, and plenty of rubbish. I am in the middle of a tidy up at the moment. Should be done in 3-4 weeks, if you dont get sorted by then, I might be able to organise something. I am based in kilbeggan co Westmeath, and working in Portarlington.

So if you cant get sorted , let me know

kadman

you could check the irish woodturners guild generally a friendly lot, their website is http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com look at the chapters and see which is closest to you ( i guess gorey but my midlands geography aint great) worth ringing the secretary and seeing if they know anyone in your area
    sorry midland chapter - contact details are on the website above they cover kildare, carlow, meath and kildare -theyd know whos in your area

Thanks for the advice will check out the website, most helpful thank you Boysie

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Hi Boysie39,

My workshop is currently home to a 3/4 restored beetle, numerous woodworking machines, 2 lathes, and plenty of rubbish. I am in the middle of a tidy up at the moment. Should be done in 3-4 weeks, if you dont get sorted by then, I might be able to organise something. I am based in kilbeggan co Westmeath, and working in Portarlington.

So if you cant get sorted , let me know

kadman

Thanks Kadman, if nothing turns up I will leave it for 5 weeks just in case you rope me into the clean up . I've been trying to get in touch with Martin Gleeson would you happen to know where his shop/store is. Boysie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

boysie39 wrote: »
    Thanks Kadman, if nothing turns up I will leave it for 5 weeks just in case you rope me into the clean up . I've been trying to get in touch with Martin Gleeson would you happen to know where his shop/store is. Boysie

Check out this thread ... he's in a place called Kilcock out in the wilds of Kildare somewhere.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054852124&highlight=gleeson

(Thank God the Search function is back again !!!!)

Alun, That place Kilcock thats out in the sticks, I was born down the about 6mls. in a place called Leixlip. I probley played football against his Father if he is originaly from Kilcock. Small world, thanks for the thred will check it out Regds. Boysie

Advertisement