Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Recommendation

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advice on buying a laptop. I need one for college work, music and photos, possibly a bit of Sims 2 as well :). Budget of about €700-€900. My friend has warned me off Windows Vista and I'd like to know if he's right or if it's actually ok. Also, are macbooks any good? I'd like one that's light and small so that's why I ask. Dell seems to be the place to go according to the other threads though or maybe HP. As you can see, I am a complete technophobe, so bear with me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would stay away from Vista myself as having used it I still find windows XP is better (hate saying it but its the truth)
    €700-900 won't get you a macbook as far as I'm aware and it would have a fair learnignn
    curve to as your changing to MacOSx.
    Try the Dell website and Look at their Vostro line or check the bargain alert forums on boards for latest offers.
    Try to get a laptop that has a dedicated graphics card if your looking to play the Sims 2 as onboard graphics wouldn't be very good for gameplay.Other than that it just takes some research on your part!
    Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stargirl06

Thanks for your help. :) I think I'll stay away from games on the laptop. I know I can get a Macbook for €940 through my college, so just wondering is it a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Stargirl06 wrote:
    Thanks for your help. :) I think I'll stay away from games on the laptop. I know I can get a Macbook for €940 through my college, so just wondering is it a good deal?

IMO Macs are teh ghey. Most people buy Macs because they look good:rolleyes:

To second Majik (and to get in before the 50 people who will also say this) go with a Dell Vostro. Look at the Dell thread in Bargain Alerts.

If you are not going for dedicated graphics E700 is plenty to spend. If you're spending E900 you will want at least a 256mb card for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stargirl06

Thanks for your help guys! I think I'll go with a Dell cos I get the feeling that they're the best for my money. :):)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should be able to get a 15.4" dell vostro with a 8600gt for around the €900 mark. This is a good card and should handle the sims 2 with ease. I haven't got time now but at some stage today or tomorrow I will find one on dell for that price that will suit your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Stargirl06 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I need one for college work, music and photos, possibly a bit of Sims 2 as well :). Budget of about €700-€900.

Also, are macbooks any good? I'd like one that's light and small so that's why I ask.

MacBooks are great, light portable and probably a little over your budget. Although as you say 940 - good price. Anyway, great for college work, music and photos, dunno about Sims.

Learning curve is pretty non-steep despite what others are saying, OS X is very intuitive once you've figured out the basics. Great machine, good price but hold off on buying one for a few weeks because there's a new version of OS X just round the corner (and would be included with a machine) - I'm hearing rumours around Oct 26th for release

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah but macs are pretty expensive for what you get.

Advertisement