Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Community

Options
  • 09-10-2007 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife are non-denominational Christians. We want to find a Christian community in Dublin. However, we are anti-ritualistic (catholicism etc is out of the question). Would love to find a Christian community without 'any' creed. The one thing that I don't like about being non-denominational, is there are no gatherings of like minded people, to help in upbuilding etc. We meet with like minded family members, but I was just wondering if there are others out there. I would like a group that reason the scriptures, not just say, 'this is it, this is our doctrine'. That hold up 'Living' the message as well as teaching it. That do not believe in 'means to an end' teaching, and stick to Christian principles when teaching. That is more than just, meet on sunday and have someone dish out sermons. As I said, more of a Christian community. Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

JimiTime wrote: »
    Myself and my wife are non-denominational Christians. We want to find a Christian community in Dublin. However, we are anti-ritualistic (catholicism etc is out of the question). Would love to find a Christian community without 'any' creed. The one thing that I don't like about being non-denominational, is there are no gatherings of like minded people, to help in upbuilding etc. We meet with like minded family members, but I was just wondering if there are others out there. I would like a group that reason the scriptures, not just say, 'this is it, this is our doctrine'. That hold up 'Living' the message as well as teaching it. That do not believe in 'means to an end' teaching, and stick to Christian principles when teaching. That is more than just, meet on sunday and have someone dish out sermons. As I said, more of a Christian community. Any ideas??

Jimi, you can find a community without any creed (eg the Quakers) but you are unlikely to find them to be like-minded with you. The reason is that a creed (derived from the Latin credo - I believe) is the only way to ensure likemindedness. So, if you have a community with no creed then Wicknight et al are free to participate and air their views. As soon as you put a definition in place to prevent this then you have a creed.

Sermons have their place, being a Biblical practice (well, as a preacher I would say that, wouldn't I? :)) It sounds like what you need is a decent church with cell groups where you can meet midweek in homes and discuss your faith with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

PDN wrote: »
    Jimi, you can find a community without any creed (eg the Quakers) but you are unlikely to find them to be like-minded with you. The reason is that a creed (derived from the Latin credo - I believe) is the only way to ensure likemindedness. So, if you have a community with no creed then Wicknight et al are free to participate and air their views. As soon as you put a definition in place to prevent this then you have a creed.

Sermons have their place, being a Biblical practice (well, as a preacher I would say that, wouldn't I? :)) It sounds like what you need is a decent church with cell groups where you can meet midweek in homes and discuss your faith with others.

PDN says it well.

Let me add, EVERYONE has a creed, including you. It is what one believes the Bible to teach. Any church will have core beliefs that all must agree to if they are to continue as a group, and (unless they are a cult) other doctrines members may differ on. Obviously all true Christian churches will agree on the fundamentals; after that they will have distinctives, (doctrines that their members must agree to so that the group can function without division) but which they acknowledge other true Christians may not hold to. Then the doctrines they feel able to differ on and yet not divide over. Examples of the
    Fundamentals: Justification by faith, without the works of the law.
    Distinctives: Baptism on profession of faith
    Differences: Pre/Post/Non Millenial Second Coming of Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Cheers guys. Yeah, i think you're right about the creed, and I didn't mean to say 'no sermons', if thats how it came across. The sermon comment more relates to a meeting, just being a sermon. I'd like somewhere that has both sermon and interaction/discussion.

As for the creed, I suppose, i don't think one is needed once one is a believer in Jesus Christ and God our Father. I find creeds tend to be doctrinal. 'To be a member, you must do this or that etc etc'. The very fact its from Latin, would sugest some kind of Roman corruption. I don't see any evidence biblically in such things neither. Maybe I just want a creed that says, 'I believe in The Living God as described in the scriptures and in his Son Jesus Christ who died but was raised up on the 3rd day. I seek truth.'
    Anything beyond this, I'm usually not to crazy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Cheers guys. Yeah, i think you're right about the creed, and I didn't mean to say 'no sermons', if thats how it came across. The sermon comment more relates to a meeting, just being a sermon. I'd like somewhere that has both sermon and interaction/discussion.

As for the creed, I suppose, i don't think one is needed once one is a believer in Jesus Christ and God our Father. I find creeds tend to be doctrinal. 'To be a member, you must do this or that etc etc'. The very fact its from Latin, would sugest some kind of Roman corruption. I don't see any evidence biblically in such things neither. Maybe I just want a creed that says, 'I believe in The Living God as described in the scriptures and in his Son Jesus Christ who died but was raised up on the 3rd day. I seek truth.'
    Anything beyond this, I'm usually not to crazy about.
    You don't want a creed and you seek the truth?? Bit of a contradiction isn't it? If I were giving you directions, I'd tell you not to start from here! :)

kelly1 wrote: »
    You don't want a creed and you seek the truth?? Bit of a contradiction isn't it?
    Not really no. As I've said, the extent of my 'creed' is I believe in God, as written about in the scriptures, and in his Son Jesus Christ who died and was raised in 3 days. I seek truth.
    If I were giving you directions, I'd tell you not to start from here! :)
    TBH, I've learned alot from here. Amongst all the nonsense that goes on, there do occasionally be some pearls floating:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Not really no. As I've said, the extent of my 'creed' is I believe in God, as written about in the scriptures, and in his Son Jesus Christ who died and was raised in 3 days. I seek truth.
    As Christ said, "The truth shall set you free". The question is how do you know your interpretation of scripture is correct assuming you believe that the bible is the last word on truth? What qualifies you or me to interpret scripture? How do you KNOW whether contraception is sinful? How do you KNOW whether Jesus was using symbolic language or speaking literally when He said "This is My Body"? Dogma is not an ugly word. The truth sets you free and error can lead to destruction of the soul.
    TBH, I've learned alot from here. Amongst all the nonsense that goes on, there do occasionally be some pearls floating:)
    When I said "here" I was talking about starting with a creedless community. It can only end in chaos.

God bless,
    Noel.

kelly1 wrote: »
    As Christ said, "The truth shall set you free". The question is how do you know your interpretation of scripture is correct
    Why? How else can you interpret 'Love God, and Love your neighbour'?
    assuming you believe that the bible is the last word on truth?
    Well, I'd certainly say that if there is anything that goes against scripture, its not truth. If anything is stated, that has no foundation in scripture, it is certainly dubious and most likely false.

What qualifies you or me to interpret scripture?
    My eyes and ability to read. I ask for help from God through our 'only' mediator, Jesus Christ. there is nothing to suggest I cannot do this.
    How do you KNOW whether contraception is sinful?
    Its not important!
    How do you KNOW whether Jesus was using symbolic language or speaking literally when He said "This is My Body"?
    Firstly, its obvious! And secondly, he said "This 'means' my body"
    The truth sets you free and error can lead to destruction of the soul.

You think that if I live a Christian life, but I use a condom with my wife, my soul is liable for destruction? Do you actually know Jesus?
    When I said "here" I was talking about starting with a creedless community. It can only end in chaos.

This will be the 3rd time I've stipulated this. i said that the only 'creed', for want of a better term, i need, is that i believe in The Living God as described in the holy scriptures, and in his Son Jesus Christ, who died and was raised up in 3 days. I seek truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joe Reilly

Hi Jim,

I have read your points and I see where you are coming from.

I myself have fellowshipped in many ministries and with believers of all kinds of different doctrines.

The main thing that's most imporatant is that the fundamentals are agreed upon and taught openly, you are correct.

However, the bible talks about the church being in unity, so therefore we need to agree on what's acceptable in the group, fellowship, ministry etc.

The best thing you can do is have a look round different ministries and attend different meetings and judge for yourself by the leadership of the holy spirit. Pray to God of course in your choice.

The ministry I pastor in is called Mountain Of Fire & Miracles Ministries. It's Pentecostal, but we regard ourselves non-denominational. We encourage people to worship God in spirit and in truth and have the freedom to do so as the spirit leads them. We believe in deep holiness within and without. However, we will always defend and discuss our doctrine based on biblical truth.

God bless,

Joe

Its been 3 years since this thread, and low and behold, I never even looked for a fellowship. Call it Ford Super Sunday Laziness, combined with a pesimism that I wont find one.

Anyway, thanks to you fellow Christian Boardsies over the years, I'm not so restrictive on what a church should be. So here's where I'm at.

With my first child on the way, myself and my wife are now more than ever eager to find a good Christian fellowship. We are no longer restrictive, though Roman Catholocism is defo not for us (Not to be offensive to our RC brothers). We would like a fellowship that has some joy and music in its meetings. We are in Dublin. Ideal areas would be Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Tallaght, M-50 south destinations, but all advice considered.

Thank you in advance.
    Jimi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Oops. Didn't spot age of thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

My usual troika of suggestions: Trinity (actually a collection of 3 non-denominational churches - North, Lucan, and Central - that meet once a month in the fabulously renovated Labour Exchange building), Core, St Marks.

If you are considering attending one service, I would recommend attending Trinity when all 3 churches gather. It's a nice mix of happy clappy contemporary music (not always my thing, remember) and interesting debate. They are also very active in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Its been 3 years since this thread, and low and behold, I never even looked for a fellowship. Call it Ford Super Sunday Laziness, combined with a pesimism that I wont find one.

Anyway, thanks to you fellow Christian Boardsies over the years, I'm not so restrictive on what a church should be. So here's where I'm at.

With my first child on the way, myself and my wife are now more than ever eager to find a good Christian fellowship. We are no longer restrictive, though Roman Catholocism is defo not for us (Not to be offensive to our RC brothers). We would like a fellowship that has some joy and music in its meetings. We are in Dublin. Ideal areas would be Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Tallaght, M-50 south destinations, but all advice considered.

Thank you in advance.
    Jimi.

I don't go there much myself but Trinity Church Network are a pretty solid-but-easy going/interesting/active crowd. I'm only familiar with the city centre group (in the newly restored and impressive Exchange building at the end of Gardiner St).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Are you looking for a Christian community or The Christian Community? I am not religious but I do know alot of people involved in this organisation. From what I gather they believe in a very 'peace and love' form of christianity and they don't believe in formal dogma. They don't have formal churches but gatherings more like discussion groups where people discuss their own ideas of christianity and issues they may have. To be honest I know very little about the group itself but any of the members I have encountered have been very open minded, intellgent and easy going people. Why not look into setting up your own Christian discussion group? I'm not religious but if I was a christian I would definately see small gatherings and discussion groups as the way forward from the traditional large scale churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.newlife.ie/

Based in Clondalkin, dont know too much about them. Some sermons are on the site, so check them out and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    So, if you have a community with no creed then Wicknight et al are free to participate and air their views.

The solution to that is to have it early on a Sunday morning. Atheists sleep in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Trinity would be my recommendation. It is exactly what you're looking for, I went there, but it wasn't for me for various reasons (went to the one in Donaghmede at the time). Do try it - they're very nice, the worship is good. There is very little structure/hierarchy. It is like cell groups, with a leader, then a committee,... very democratic. Also very charismatic.

Trinity would be my recommendation. It is exactly what you're looking for, I went there, but it wasn't for me for various reasons (went to the one in Donaghmede at the time). Do try it - they're very nice, the worship is good. There is very little structure/hierarchy. It is like cell groups, with a leader, then a committee,... very democratic. Also very charismatic.

You mind me asking why it wasn't for you? Also, what do you mean by 'Charismatic'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Thank you in advance.
    Jimi.

What's wrong with the various Protestant denominations?

Presbyterian sounds right up your street.

Wicknight wrote: »
    The solution to that is to have it early on a Sunday morning. Atheists sleep in :pac:

Until you have some kiddes to get yuo up at seven :-)

What's wrong with the various Protestant denominations?

Nothing I'm aware too aware of.
    Presbyterian sounds right up your street.

how so?

• Advertisement

how so?
    1. You like your scripture and bible study
    2. You are not a wacky creationist

But then again maybe there's too many Ulster-ites hogging these Churches.

Maybe if you were in the states, it would be the denomination for you.

Advertisement