Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Options
  • 09-10-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

I used to be able to burn CDs in my lappy (IBM thinkpad) using IBM Recorder or similar preinstalled app that comes with the lappy.
    I uninstalled it to start using the built in burner in Windows Media Player instead but suddenlt I get the above error whenever I click on E: in Windows Explorer.
    It's like my PC doesn't realize there is a burner there. It think it's just a CD ROM.
    I can listen to CDs, bought and burned, and also watch DVDs.

The usual way to sort this (acc to google) is to right click on the drive E:, choose Properties and then tick the box "Enable CD recording on this drive" in the Recording tab.
    However, I don't have a Recording tab - probably because the system thinks it's just a CD ROM.

Guess I need some burner drivers for XP SP2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Didn't effing work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Try disabling the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service, then rebooting (important to reboot for some reason, stopping didn't seem to do sh!t)
    I think that's what worked for me last time I had something similar. (Nero saying the drive was in use all the time, no burning software worked, and the drive appeared to be not recognised as a burner, and "incorrect function" sounds horribly familiar as well)... I'm not sure if Media Player requires this service, but it's certainly worth a shot (maybe in conjunction with 3rd party burning software if Media Player doesn't like it disabled) and is easy to undo.

Thanks mate, unfortunately that don't seem to work either.

At least now the drive changed name from CD ROM to below. I still get issue tho if I put a blank disc in and click on drive. Burner apps (Deepburner/WMP) says burning fails.

eeeyb5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Remove it from device manager and reboot to let it pick it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You could try the following and see does that remove the problem, it could be related to the filters that software (ie. Roxio CD Burner,or Deepburner installs to associate itself with your particular cd drive) and they maybe causing the issue.
    This is a direct Copy/paste from:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07146&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=59480

Clear the registry filters (for Windows XP and 2000 only). If you do not have Windows XP or 2000, skip to the next section.
    CAUTION: These steps require the removal of the CD writing software (RecordNow, Easy CD Creator, etc..). On some models of HP and Compaq PCs, it is not possible to restore the CD Writing software without doing a system recovery. Look in the application recovery portion of System Tools to make sure that you can restore the CD writing software. If the name of the CD writing software is not listed, do not use these steps. Instead, restart the PC and go to step 8.

Click Start , Run , and type the following into the Open field: regedit
    Click OK . The registry editor appears.
    In Windows XP, click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save .
    In Windows 2000, click Registry , Export Registry File , type a filename that's easy for you to remember, and click Save .
    A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes.
    Click the plus sign ( + ) next to the following items in the list:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet (or the current control set with lowest number if that is all that is listed)
    Control
    Class
    Figure 3: Registry Editor: LowerFilter key

Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 .
    Select LowerFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
    Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
    If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
    Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
    Delete all other UpperFilter and LowerFilter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key.
    Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

It will render any cd burning software useless and will need to be reinstalled.Just a word of warning.

Also you may try and look for a firmware update for your particular model of CD burner if theres one available.
    If you right click My Computer and goto manage, then under device manager expand the CD/DVD Devices menu to get the model info from the drive and post it here.

Lads, thanks for all the input. This was a very tricky issue but it seems the registry fix did the trick.

Glad it worked!

Advertisement