Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shockwave

Options
  • 09-10-2007 7:40am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Check this out. A pic taken this weekend in San Francisco.

DSC_7901.jpg

Look underneath the aircraft, between the intake bulges and the start of the wake on the water.

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

No picture MM just a Red X here.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I can see it. Supersonic F18, MM?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Seems to have gone down on the source site on the original thread as well. I'll let you know when it comes back up.

But yes, a (Near) supersonic F/A-18.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Photoshopped?

I strongly doubt it. The guy who originally posted the pictures on the thread was not the person to point out the shockwaves.

Heck, lots of good pics here.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/

Seems that if you can't see the pic in the OP, you can see it on the original page. It's just after half-way down.

NTM

• Advertisement

Then the pilot is a little bit too clever for his own good.

I imagine military aircraft are exempt from (civil) rules of the air in the US as they are here, but that guy is far too close to the boat in the foreground IMO.

Was it some sort of airshow? The paint job makes me suspect its an aircraft from a display team?

Disregard, had a look at the link...airshow indeed.

US Navy Blue Angels, and without knowing the focal length of the lens used you've no idea how close to that boat he is.

I imagine military aircraft are exempt from (civil) rules of the air in the US as they are here, but that guy is far too close to the boat in the foreground IMO.

Was it some sort of airshow? The paint job makes me suspect its an aircraft from a display team?

The Coast Guard (you can see a number of their vessels in the pics) enforced a no-sail-zone which had been publicised in a NOTAM in which the pilots conducted their low-altitude maneuvers.

NTM

oscarBravo wrote:
    US Navy Blue Angels, and without knowing the focal length of the lens used you've no idea how close to that boat he is.

Oscar, he's close...

DSC_7894.jpg

DSC_7899.jpg

• Advertisement

FWIW, the Coast Guard's NOTAM is at http://www.uscgsanfrancisco.com/clients/c823/87174.doc

If someone wants to convert minutes of lattitude to meters, go ahead, but it looks like at least 300m wide to me. Plenty enough room.

NTM

Unless I'm miscalculating, the area described in the NOTAM is about 900m wide.

My initial comment was made before I knew the aircraft was participating in a display and that restrictions were in place to facilitate the maneuvers.

Move along, nothing to see...

p.s. Manic, Notice To Airmen (NOTAM) are for pilots, not boat owners...;)

I thought it could also stand for NOtice To All Mariners.

NTM

Dug a bit deeper, seems NOTAMs developed from the earlier practise of including information for mariners on naval charts (including the immortal "Here be Monsters"). Appears the USCG continue the practise, as do the Australians.

Every day's a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I still dont see what OP is pointing out in the picture. I really cant imagine a display aircraft being allowed go supersonic. All display pilots have to follow very strict rules during thier display....but I have to say Im amazed the aircraft was allowed to fly so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dont know if anyone posted this before...but I just love this video...french Mirage F1s flying on the deck...really is a stunning video.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7a1_1172944648

Advertisement