Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 6400 or Vostro 1000?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Like the title says :) I'm leaning towards the Inspiron because it's cheaper and I understand the speeds on Intel chips! AMD confuse me. Anyone own or have opinions on either? I think I may get Vista with SP1 already in beta.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Post up the links of both of them and I'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Inspiron 6400

Vostro 1000

I think the CPU on the Inspiron is better but I'm not completely sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stay away from the sempron whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you need one in a hurry then remember there is a 3 week delay (min) on the 6400. I'm just about to order 5 of the Vostros you linked to but with slightly different but better spec.
    Base AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English
    Enhanced Service Packs Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    Memory 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    Hard Drive 80GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Video Card ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated)
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Primary Battery 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
    Auto Air Adapter Not included
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - Ireland/Spain
    Mouse Not included
    € 554.89

The Sempron is fine for everyday use if you want to keep the costs down.

Hmm may get the Vostro now, not with a Sempron:) Would the Vostro be better for games? Ah its not widescreen is it? Ah I'm gonna get the Vosto I think. With AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53. Its 542 euro inc. VAT + shipping. That sound right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Both crap for games. Unless you play really old games. The vostros is better for games though, but thats like comparing an 89 car to a 90 one. Slighty better but still crap overall. The absolute bare minimum you need to be looking at for games is an 8400GS, which will struggle on the newest games even at lower settings. For comfortable gaming on a laptop, 8600GT is the minimum. Unless you play old games, or football manager, that type of thing. The Vostros is OK for that type of stuff.

Thanks,

Ok so before I order choose any opinions?

Inspiron 6400 -

Base Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Video Card Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    Hard Drive 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Floppy Drives No Floppy Drive
    CD/DVD Drives Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    Wireless Local Area Networking Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Dual-Core Processors)
    Shipping Documents English Documentation with UK Power Cord
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Standard Warranty 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    Hardware Support 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & ReturnPower Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Primary Battery 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)
    Accidental Damage Support No Accidental Damage Support
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™

Thats 603 euro including VAT + delivery

And Vostro 1000-

Base AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Keyboard Internal Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Video Card ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated)
    Hard Drive 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Wireless Networking Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-Card - Europe
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    Enhanced Service Packs Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    Protect your new PC No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Power Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Primary Battery 9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)
    Accidental Damage Support No Accidental Damage Support
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™

Thats 530 euro including Vat + delivery

Are they both the same size? The Vostro looks like smaller

Neither, get this. Drop the warranty down to a one year and upgrade the battery and it should come out at around €600. It's a far better laptop as well.

Thanks I would but I am trying to keep the budget around 500-ish and that Vostro works our at around 639 with 9 cell etc.

Thanks Anyway, I might just get the Vostro 1000. Inspiron has a 4 weeks wait?!

Yeah it's €630. I thought the delivery was still free. That would have saved you €60. I still recommend you get this though. You will notice the difference between the two laptops. Vista is meant to be a dog with only 1GB of ram.

• Advertisement

So I hear, I was going to dual boot Ubuntu and use that mostly though. And I suppose I can always buy parts from somewhere other than Dell if I need to. I mean 600+ Euro for 4 gigs of RAM! unbelievable

Well you're only spending an extra €100 and you're getting a better processor and double the ram. If you are running ubuntu or xp then the vostro you selected will do the job. The vostro is the better of the two you selected. I thought you would be primarily running vista on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Conor108 wrote: »
    So I hear, I was going to dual boot Ubuntu and use that mostly though. And I suppose I can always buy parts from somewhere other than Dell if I need to. I mean 600+ Euro for 4 gigs of RAM! unbelievable
    Careful: I was planning on running Linux on the 6400. It seems there's trouble with the wireless card. It doesn't seem work out of the box. Lots of hacking to do to get it working.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Posting from ubuntu now with the same system. There's a faq on ubuntu forums that deals with it, only took a few minutes to sort.

MarkR wrote: »
    Posting from ubuntu now with the same system. There's a faq on ubuntu forums that deals with it, only took a few minutes to sort.
    Sorry for going OT, but do you have the Dell or Intel wireless card?

So I'm going to get the Vostro but just one question. Can you buy components at like Komplett and then install them yourself? Or do you have to send it back to Dell?

So I'm going to get the Vostro but just one question. Can you buy components at like Komplett and then install them yourself? Or do you have to send it back to Dell?

Hard drive and ram you can. Things like the graphics card and cpu you can't.

You're better off buying additional RAM elsewhere, for example. Dell (and others) can often overcharge for such little upgrades in your customisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gkec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

AlmightyCushion - Is that deal only avilable for buisness or can it be delivered to a home address?

• Advertisement

Offalycool wrote: »
    AlmightyCushion - Is that deal only avilable for buisness or can it be delivered to a home address?

You don't have to be a business although I think you need to enter a company name. It doesn't matter what you put in for this.

Just ordered the Vostro 1000. Rang to see if I could collect from the factory and ended up explaining to this guy 5 times that I didn't care if it was Vista Business. Jaysus, Got it online in the end as I planned to. Happy Days, any word on when I can expect Delivery?

It seems to take about a week.

Thats cool. How do I track it btw? Interlink Express keeps saying 'no results' when I try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

So is it possible to forgo the P+P if you collect the laptop?

Apperently not

Yay! Arrived today! Its very good and Vista runs quite smoothly. I was a bit annoyed McAfee was pre-installed but I removed it for Kaspersky. Anyway tis nice:D

Argh I couldnt find the Vostro 1000 thread so I'll use this. Does the CD drive be very scratchy? Its quite annoying:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Do you mean do they make alot of noise or do they scratch the discs?

• Advertisement

Well its sure as hell making a lot of scratching noise but I've yet to check the disc. It's installing something so once its done I'll see. Could be the HDD

Advertisement