Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr or air rifle

Options
  • 08-10-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I had planed on buying a .22lr sillhoutte rifle next week but yesterday i had the pleasure of going rabbit hunting with an air rifle it was a weihrauch .17 and was my first experience of shooting one of these guns.I never realy considerd an air rifle but now i just cant deside which to go for .22lr or air rifle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

which type was it spring powered or gas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 17shot

It was a fixed barrel underlever spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

yeah they are nice i have the HW77, HW97K both fixed barrel under levers,they are very nice ,smooth and accurate.
    handier to load when out hunting though are the break barrels and the best of them is the HW80.(can be tunned to run at high power) took 4 from 4 rabbits the other night with the one below
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I have shot Rabbits with both, albiet a while ago now. There is no doubt that the .22 gives you a longer reach, and a quicker follow up shot, all other things being equal. However, I found the air rifle more versatile, no probs with magpies in trees etc, whereas I wouldnt take the shot with the .22. Also, the air rifle is a lot more of a challenge, having to get closer to the rabbits.
    Ideally if you are in the position to try both first, that is the way to go.
    Hope it is of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

I have shot rabbits with both a .17hmr and and a precharged multi shot air rifle. imo the airgun is handier as you can shoot at magpies and it can be used in tight quarters. a mutli shot airgun offers you an equal follow up shot time to a rifle also.my airgun is silenced too and i have hit a clump of 6 bunnies standing next to eachother without any of them moving away. you cant beat the 17 for those longer shots though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement