Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Dig out here !

Options
  • 08-10-2007 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Going to buy a new laptop from dell..

I know the faster the processor the faster the machine :confused: but I couldnt find a bargain if it was hit me in the face , so any help here would be appreciated. my budget is around 1000 give or take.

My interests are Video, pinnacle studio...

I think I would need at least 2gb ram :) other than that I am lost :)
    I dont mind if its 15 or 17in screen.. and I assume it needs a fast processor for the video work..
    If you need any other info let me know..

thanks again..

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sunny2004 wrote:
    Going to buy a new laptop from dell..

I know the faster the processor the faster the machine :confused:

That's not really true. You could have a faster processor, with slower memory/hard disk that would run like a pig.

sunny2004 wrote:
    I dont mind if its 15 or 17in screen.. and I assume it needs a fast processor for the video work..

That's not really true either. :)

Sounds like you are looking for a Core 2 Duo processor, 2Gig Ram, at least 200Gig hard drive if you are going to be editing video. Check for Vista compatability with your software, before you buy.

Have a read of the other threads, there's plenty of info. Post up a few specs and we will give you some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cheers tom, 2gb ram and a dual core 2ghz processor as for the harddrive.. I dont see any dell with 200gb harddrive.

And does the speed of a sata 2 drive, either 5400 or 7200 make any real difference ?

Sorry for the dumb ass questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sunny2004 wrote:
    And does the speed of a sata 2 drive, either 5400 or 7200 make any real difference ?

Sorry for the dumb ass questions..

They are most certainly not dumbass questions, we all have to learn at some stage.

Personally, I don't think the speed makes that much of a difference, but having said that, I don't do video editing. If your budget streches, it might be worth it, I can't really say for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

certainly for video edititing get a SATA 7,200 rpm disk. it will make a big difference to editing, you can get a 250gig one for about 200euros, give or take.

Advertisement