Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[req] VHS to DVD

Options
  • 08-10-2007 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right topic, so please feel free to move....
    Looking for a good company can will burn DVD's from existing VHS recordings. Have about 10 tapes, that will eventually fade to nothing, if I don't do something about them. Also VHS player has packed in!
    Also any good experiences/prices, in doing same.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Got 2 tapes converted onto dvd in Photo Care in Lower Abbey Street.
    Cost was around €40 but I think they gave me some discount because there was a bit of a delay incurred, overall, very good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PM Sent. www.fitz2dvd.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

If you have 10 and the prices are as quoted above, buy the hardware and do it yourself!! I bought a funai dvd/hdd/vcr a year or so ago in Argos, £199, will record quite happily from video to dvd, video to hdd, hdd to dvd, dvd to video... you get the picture!! And when it's all finished, you still have a nice bit of kit for your sitting room :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

best bet is to do as quackles said.

only one i know that does them is here

http://www.balbriggan.net/video2dvdsep07.html

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

can you recall the machine you got - have been meaning to do this?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-18

would any of the models in the above link fit the bill

thanks

• Advertisement

The one I got was this - http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=5333930&x=22&y=10 - with half the hard drive. I'd imagine any of those you posted would do the trick, just check the model out to be 100% sure before you buy. I find the hdd handy, though - takes the hit and miss aspect out of recording from video to dvd, first time I tried to do it directly, I set the quality too high and the DVD ran out of space before the end of the video. Since then, I've recorded to hdd and then set it to record to dvd (it automatically changes the compression to the best possible while still fitting all on one tape). Still, if you wouldn't use the hard drive option again, it'd be a total waste. Sure, you might mess up one or two dvds experimenting, but it's still cheaper than buying the hard drive version!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Google produced this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125517-page,1/article.html

I have a DVD Recorder/Player and have copied many Videos to DVD without much Tech. knowhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Anyone run into any problems with regard to copy protection on video when trying to convert dvd?

Mostly use it for wedding videos and the like, so I don't have huge experience with it. I have copied a couple of my son's dying 'bear in the big blue house' videos to the hard drive to save my sanity, but I couldn't tell you if they were copy protected or not, I didn't even realise such technology existed for tapes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

Had to do something similar recently. picked up for €40 in aldi a lead and software to do this, it is the business, can even set up your laptop to record live tv, yoou simply plug the leads from your vcr into the lead from aldi and this then plugs into the usb port

only thing you need is a good deal of free memory and ok ram...i have a 30gb laptop and 256 ram and worked perfectly...might be a cheaper option than professional machines

alternatively buy a low cost dvd recorder and you should be able to plug your vcr into this and record onto dvd, similar to how we use to copy video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Quackles wrote:
    The one I got was this - http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=5333930&x=22&y=10 - with half the hard drive. I'd imagine any of those you posted would do the trick, just check the model out to be 100% sure before you buy. I find the hdd handy, though - takes the hit and miss aspect out of recording from video to dvd, first time I tried to do it directly, I set the quality too high and the DVD ran out of space before the end of the video. Since then, I've recorded to hdd and then set it to record to dvd (it automatically changes the compression to the best possible while still fitting all on one tape). Still, if you wouldn't use the hard drive option again, it'd be a total waste. Sure, you might mess up one or two dvds experimenting, but it's still cheaper than buying the hard drive version!

I would go with the argos solution.

And remember OP, argos offer a 16 day no questions asked money back policy...just in case you are not happy with it...;) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

aonoco wrote:

only thing you need is a good deal of free memory and ok ram...i have a 30gb laptop and 256 ram and worked perfectly...

lol

eh so in that case you dont need you dont need much ram or memory

Advertisement