Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Shop .....

Options
  • 07-10-2007 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

Where can I try in town for a good price on a Compact Digital camera ? ..... I know what I want ..... just trying to get the best price ....

Dixons ....

Argos ....

Curry's ....

Harvey Norman ....

PC World ....

Anywhere else? ...... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Whelans...they're the only one's that'll haggle that I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Any trip I have had to Whelan's has been extremely negative. They are extrememly ignorant in manner and don't know an awful lot about the digital side of things (IMO). Where you will get the best value will totally depend on the model you are going for. I haggled a lot off my last camera purchase (a Panasonic in Savins).

Use sites like pixmania, pcwb, komplett etc to get a feel for prices. Set a budget and hit them all. Add soundstore ballysimon to the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Likewise, I have found Whelans unhelpful and arrogant when I tried to buy a Canon camera two years ago.

Save yourself a lot and try some of the more reputable UK online retailers.

http://www.parkcameras.com/

http://www.jessops.com/

These two dealers I have dealt with when buying cameras and I found them competatively priced, friendly and efficient.
    I had to have one camera repaired under warranty and it was done quickly and smoothly.

Irish camera retailers are just going to rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Buy one on internet. WAY cheaper than shops in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Newman's Cameras on Cruises Street. Very Helpful

moz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Newmans and the Soundstore are probably the most helpful in Limerick, plus they have decent knowledge on cameras, be it compact, SLR etc.

Personally I would buy online, as the prices are normally better, even after p&p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

o-key-doke ....

thanks a mill for advice ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

definitely buy online
    others to try
    http://www.komplett.ie
    http://www.pixmania.com

I've both cameras off bought and have had excellent service each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I second Komplett - found them cheaper than Pixmania for what I was getting (Sony W55)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

i only buy gadgets online. most online shops like expansys deliver overnight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

i only buy gadgets online. most online shops like expansys deliver overnight!

Same here. MP3 players, cameras, CD's, that sort of stuff is all way cheaper online. eBay, Amazon or the dealers listed in the earlier posts.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I have to say that my experience of Whelans has been the complete opposite of Wingnut and tippman1.

I've bought four cameras off them in the last few years, one digital for work, an SLR, a digital SLR and a "normal" digital and have found them very good. I've gotten very good deals off them each time and they have been most helpful and I would have no hesitation in recommending them again.

I guess it depends on who you meet in there, but I've found both Bernard and David to be very good.

Mike

p.s. I am in no way connected to Whelans!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Citys voice

I had the worst shopping experance of my life in whelans. i had the misfortuine of having to deal with the owner what a horrible man, im amazed he is keeping a business open i could never recommend them to anyone.

Newman's Cameras on Cruises Street is the place to go pleasent staff good prices.
    the uk warehouse site is very reasonible aswell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Citys voice given a yellow card for breach of charter.
    This thread is three years old and is no longer accurate.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement