Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankruptcy/Liquidation Sales

Options
  • 06-10-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Just got a flyer in the door advertising a "Bankruptcy Sale" in a local hotel tomorrow.

Samples of things on the list:

Sony PS2 - €60
    Sony PSP - €50
    Nintendo Wii - €100
    Hammer Drill - €20
    Portable DVD player - €30

Has anyone gone to one of these sales ? What's the catch ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Don't bother they're a complete rip-off they'll just be selling sh1te to gullible punters I can tell you know there won't be any of those products available - they usually auction off rubbish - that's how they can quote the low prices they're just "reserve" prices - there used to be one of these on Oxford St in London years ago they used to lure people in then close the doors behind them so they couldn't get out there were always a few eejits who'd buy some piece of crap from them was kinda scary actually they were right looking "geezers"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

it says at the bottom "Please Note This Is Not An Auction" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

I agree with Eamon234 above, I've gone to a couple of these before with very high hopes. To get anything decent, you'll pay through the nose, and if you get what appears to be a bargain, its 99% likely to be a piece of crap. I would not recommend you wasting your time.

They are always, for some reason, held in weird places such as hotels and town halls and such, and they are usually hosted by people who look as they be just as happy mugging you as selling you their truck loads of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

total utter complete rip-off. Many hotels now refuse to deal with them.

They will have their own people getting the "real" bargains and you'll then be sold a heap of unbranded Sh1te.

I don't think anyone has ever come on boards and said they got a good deal at one of these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Are these an actual "dutch auction"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stay Away From Them. Full Stop. You'll Have Nothing But Regret If You Buy There. Be Warned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

Stay Away From Them. Full Stop. You'll Have Nothing But Regret If You Buy There. Be Warned

Class, I read that in my mind with the voice of the ghost in "Amityville" that tells the family to "Geeeettttt ooooouuuuuttttt". Just the tone required! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'll pay an entrance fee, usually, and sure, it's not an auction... there's just a limited supply and people bid:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yeah been at one of these onle selling furniture at knock-off prices ans all too good to be true! just a cheap scam to get punters in the door like lambs to the proverbial slaughter from their unscrupeles sales people!

Advertisement