Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy rail commuter

Options
  • 05-10-2007 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Remember that thread?

Yet anther one that has seen some shocking moderation from the all powerful Calina. Furthermore I think the approach from some posters here was desperate. A person comes on complaining about the rail service from Sallins etc. and the reaction is "get a life", "move" etc etc.

Rail Users Ireland has made an attempt to contact the OP and assist in any way we can. We won't be berating her choice of house, kitchen, car, supermarket or underwear. We'll just offer well mannered advice.

As for this place? Calina and the merry men from certain threads today and yesterday can all blissfully go to hell because this place is getting like IRN. A real private members club without a sign on the door.

Pathetic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You know there's a Feedback forum, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DerekP11 wrote:
    We won't be berating her choice of underwear.

Pathetic.
    Do you know something we dont ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Well said, I cant believe one person can get banned but the flamers dont get any punishment because the post wasnt reported :rolleyes:

Awful moderation.

markf909 wrote:
    Awful moderation.
    Is it now?

Im surprised that some people here are capable of getting on the right train seeing as they dont even know what forum to post their stupid rants in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Ibid wrote:
    You know there's a Feedback forum, right?

Yeah but it isn't worth ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

muffler wrote:
    Is it now?

Im surprised that some people here are capable of getting on the right train seeing as they dont even know what forum to post their stupid rants in.

Dude, that thread in feedback just smacks of people high fiving each other.
    Anyhoo i've said how I feel and I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

muffler wrote:
    Is it now?

Go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

DerekP11 wrote:
    A real private members club without a sign on the door.

Somewhat hypocritical from a group that now claims to represent all rail users but regularly responds to questions on it's messageboard by telling those users that the information is available only to people that have paid them money.

Unlike yourselves there are numerous people on these boards that go out of their way to answer questions from others, often newbies that could not be considered part of the "club" without demanding a joining fee.

The fact is that there is no club here, anyone is free to post and as long as they stay within the small number of rules they are free to keep on posting.

As long as they have valid points that they can make properly I see no bias between regular posters or new/infrequent members.

The only group I have seen here gang up on other posters is the P11 contingent.

Whatever way you swing it the arguement the OP on that thread was putting forward was off the wall, suing IE because her commute is standing only is ludicrous. Like it or not many of the points made were valid, not necessarily helpful to the OP's cause but still valid. That is the chance you take with asking a bunch of people to support you, they may not.

SeanW wrote:
    Go home.
    Sorry to disappoint but we dont have trains in Donegal - just helicopters

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Of course John we know that at least some posters here work as drivers and/or managers for the semi-states that get lashed, so these posters have to be taken with a pinch of salt also.

I am a member of RUI. I have no dealings with transport professioals outside of this. Heck, I don't even use public transport all that often. I just care about it and want what other countries have and nobody apart from RUI has offered me a way to help.

The OP was annoyed by the generally crap system offered to her as a commuter and she had a rant and was greeted by some right tosser comments like "move house" and so on.

People are so accustomed to the dreadful excuse for a transport system we have that thay start to question the questioners. I have more time for a normal commuter like sabrina99 than any tansport professional on this or any other forum. She's just like me, a citizen who wants better and who like me, deserves better.

RUI members are diverse. We don't always agree. But, who else bothers their arse to mobilise like RUI? Seriously, tell me the names of some people who are trying to get a membership of commuters together to campaign for better services. I suggest that people who don't like RUI's methods should join up and give their contribution. seriously. More members = stronger base to lobby from. I'm pretty sure that most members of RUI wish the organisation had no need to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

John R wrote:
    Somewhat hypocritical from a group that now claims to represent all rail users but regularly responds to questions on it's messageboard by telling those users that the information is available only to people that have paid them money.

Unlike yourselves there are numerous people on these boards that go out of their way to answer questions from others, often newbies that could not be considered part of the "club" without demanding a joining fee.

The fact is that there is no club here, anyone is free to post and as long as they stay within the small number of rules they are free to keep on posting.

As long as they have valid points that they can make properly I see no bias between regular posters or new/infrequent members.

The only group I have seen here gang up on other posters is the P11 contingent.

Whatever way you swing it the arguement the OP on that thread was putting forward was off the wall, suing IE because her commute is standing only is ludicrous. Like it or not many of the points made were valid, not necessarily helpful to the OP's cause but still valid. That is the chance you take with asking a bunch of people to support you, they may not.

Rial Users Ireland is a voluntary and organised entity. We are entitled to raise funds through our online resources. We have many members who are transport professionals and are in a position to provide informed commentary.However your comments are actually misguided. We regularly answer questions etc in the public area of our forum. I could go on all night about how much info is available free gratis. Our members area is provided as an incentive and not as a private club facility. The publically accessible areas of our forum and our website are far bigger than our members sections.

At the end of the day, we are active and open. You could join and add your 2cents. But you choose to stay clear amid the insecure fear you have of actually trying to influence an organisation and put your own thoughts into it. Some of you people here give me a right laugh. You condemn us, but never take the opportunity to join, run for committee positions and influence policy. Im not a god. I can be voted off the committee like a shot. Ive invited it actively every year since 2005. We're a very open organisation.

As for the OP, well she posted her query on the wrong forum and I'd say she knows that by now.

Murphaph has expressed an opinion and its probably shared by the vast majority of our membership. We don't all get along or agree, but we do our best and it works. It gets better everyday and people love to talk about us.

Great stuff. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

DerekP11 wrote:
    Rial Users Ireland is a voluntary and organised entity. We are entitled to raise funds through our online resources.

You are entitled to do whatever you want however if you claim to represent rail users as a whole then you should be accountable to them all members or not. Otherwise you are in danger of becoming just another small band of self-serving pressure groups and there are already far too many of these poisioning our system of government already.
    DerekP11 wrote:
    We have many members who are transport professionals and are in a position to provide informed commentary.However your comments are actually misguided. We regularly answer questions etc in the public area of our forum.

And sometimes you answer a query by referring to the fact that that topic is only for paid-up members to discuss. Of course you are perfectly entitled to do this but as someone who had considered joining your group in the past that response to a relatively general question about rail operations did not sit well with me.

DerekP11 wrote:
    At the end of the day, we are active and open. You could join and add your 2cents.

True, I could join but for a number of reasons I have been put-off, I don't see much point in joining an organisation that I have a number of problems with.
    DerekP11 wrote:
    But you choose to stay clear amid the insecure fear you have of actually trying to influence an organisation and put your own thoughts into it.

You see, that right there is one of the biggest problems I have with your organisation. Your reaction to people who disagree with you is to insult them and disparage their character. NOTHING makes me want to support and fund someone like a snide personal jibe.
    DerekP11 wrote:
    Some of you people here give me a right laugh. You condemn us,

I have never condemned you but I do have problems with certain aspects of your organisation, it is a shame you find it so hard to understand the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

A couple of points. Once more my inbox is full of reported posts which begs the question - what in the name of God is going on in here? Is there some reason I have to monitor you all like you're a bunch of five year olds or something? This thread is not going to last long but you can join the fun in Feedback if you're badly stuck for entertainment. It was my first feedback thread and I feel strangely liberated for it.

Thank you. I'm grateful.

I'd also like to add that I am a long time rail user in this country and I want to make it abundantly clear that I do not - under any circumstances - agree with the current modus operandi of Rail Users Ireland. In terms of selling yourselves, you have made a complete and utter mess of it here.

I seem to recall that RUI actually have their own forum. Is there some reason you have to come here when you so clearly don't enjoy it? I mean, I like people to get a buzz out of here, but hell you seem to be here on sufferance.

Thread locked, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement