Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with iTunes!

Options
  • 05-10-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Ok so after ending my 4 year vendetta against iPod (don't ask-just never liked em) I ditched my broken Creative Zen Touch (brick) and bought a lovely new iPod 80GB Classic. Great mp3 player, yes. But why is iTunes so confusing? I'm not a technology nerd but even still I'm having difficulty with it. Imagine someone completely new to this sorta thing?

Ok, when my Creative broke I backed up all my music on 4 dvd discs. I(somehow) got that music onto the iPod but not all of the tracks transfered and I dont know which ones didn't (I have a lot of music). So now I have to go through the tedious task of finding a couple of songs from each album which are missing. Nothing yis can do about that.

BUT

Q1. How the hell do you view the list of music on your computer from the connected iPod? Once I connect it, it goes to the music library. I get the impression that this is music which was on the dvds which is now stored on my computer somewhere,and not music from my iPod.

Q2. How do I edit track information? I tried clicking on the track, right clicked-->get info. Didn't work. Half of the stuff on my iPod needs to be renamed and reorganised into different albums. How do I do this?

Q3. Could they not make it simpler to transfer files/cds onto your iPod?! Much easier on Creative Media Source. So when you're transferring tracks from a CD you need to insert the CD, go to

file->add folder-->wait for tracks to be transfered to computer-->check sync box-->wait for tracks to be transfered to iPod--->delete tracks from computer???

GRRRR...such a great mp3 player but such a crap program to use.

Would appreciate some help asap!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Someone may come and answer your questions as I'm unsure as I don't use itunes myself for my ipod.

But can I guide you to here if you don't get any good answers...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50630651&postcount=3

I've had experience with the ml_plugin for winamp and it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Ok thanks!

But now there's an even bigger problem. I just unplugged it and turned it on and it says there is NO music on it. 14GB of stuff just wiped out - GONE! I didn't delete any of it I was using MediaMonkey to organise the files because, as mentioned, I was having difficulty with iTunes.

WHY DID I BUY AN IPOD OVER CREATIVE?

I didn't expect this though...I mean, I was listening to my ipod on the bus this morning and now...? No music? What the hell?

I'm literally crying...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Q1. How the hell do you view the list of music on your computer from the connected iPod? Once I connect it, it goes to the music library. I get the impression that this is music which was on the dvds which is now stored on my computer somewhere,and not music from my iPod.
    On the left hand sidebar, it should have the name of your iPod (once it's plugged in). Click 'Music' underneath that.
    Q2. How do I edit track information? I tried clicking on the track, right clicked-->get info. Didn't work. Half of the stuff on my iPod needs to be renamed and reorganised into different albums. How do I do this?
    Is the text in black or grey? If grey, it means that you have set your iPod to 'sync music', and you cannot edit the names on your iPod. Choose to manage music manually, the text should be in black. Then right-click -> Get Info should work fine.
    Q3. Could they not make it simpler to transfer files/cds onto your iPod?! Much easier on Creative Media Source. So when you're transferring tracks from a CD you need to insert the CD, go to

file->add folder-->wait for tracks to be transfered to computer-->check sync box-->wait for tracks to be transfered to iPod--->delete tracks from computer???
    no idea what you're on about here, you just click and drag songs from your Music Library into your iPod on the sidebar.

The problem generally seems to be that you've chosen to sync your music onto your iPod. For greater control, choose to manage your music manually, which can be found on the main iPod screen once you've plugged it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

But now there's an even bigger problem. I just unplugged it and turned it on and it says there is NO music on it. 14GB of stuff just wiped out - GONE! I didn't delete any of it I was using MediaMonkey to organise the files because, as mentioned, I was having difficulty with iTunes.
    If you removed all of the songs from your iTunes Music Library, and had the iPod set to sync, this would remove all of the songs from the iPod, once plugged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

SumGuy wrote:
    If you removed all of the songs from your iTunes Music Library, and had the iPod set to sync, this would remove all of the songs from the iPod, once plugged in.

No, the music is still in my music library, and it is recognised on my iPod (14GB used, 60GB free). But it's good that you mentioned that because I don't want to store music on the computer I'm using so I probably would have deleted the music library, thinking that it was music stored on my computer, and not my iPod. (Which is what I was hazy on).

On the left hand sidebar, it should have the name of your iPod (once it's plugged in). Click 'Music' underneath that.

Because there's something wrong with my iPod now, I'll have to get back on this point after I restore my iPod. But, even when it was working fine, and I clicked the music tab it didn't show all the tracks on my iPod, it just had a screen similar to the summary screen (and the movies, games screens etc.) I can't remember exactly what it said but I think it just had sync options. I can't check at the moment cos it's not working. So, the music library isn't the tracks on your iPod??

Is the text in black or grey? If grey, it means that you have set your iPod to 'sync music', and you cannot edit the names on your iPod. Choose to manage music manually, the text should be in black. Then right-click -> Get Info should work fine.

Thanks it was in grey. I think I was syncing stuff but iTunes was doing it automatically so I'll have to stop that

no idea what you're on about here, you just click and drag songs from your Music Library into your iPod on the sidebar.

Sorry, reading over it, I guess it sounds stupid to people who know what they're doing on iTunes. But I was transfering music origionally to the ipod by going into file-->add folder. Then it would 'upload' the tracks in the folder to my music library (I THINK) and then I would sync music onto my iPod. Drag and drop sounds a LOT easier!

The problem generally seems to be that you've chosen to sync your music onto your iPod. For greater control, choose to manage your music manually, which can be found on the main iPod screen once you've plugged it in

Yeah I think I'll have to set it not to sync. Thanks for the detailed response. Now I have to pluck up the courage to restore my ipod....

• Advertisement
Advertisement