Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a laptop/tablet in New York

Options
  • 05-10-2007 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Morning lads and lassies,

It's very likely I'll be going on a little shopping trip to NY before the year end (most likely late November/early December). With the dollar being weak and tax rates being lower in the States (generally) I was thinking of picking myself up either a small notebook (with decent specs) or else a tablet (HP 2710p preferred).

The problem with the plan is that its not possible for me to order from a website and have them deliver the tablet to the hotel in NY as I'm not going to be staying more than 4 days so I can't sbe sure of receving my order.

So on to my question.....has anyone got any recommendations of electronic stores/outlets in the NY area that sell the latest laptop technology as I feel even paying the Bricks and mortar premium (versus the interent price) I should still get a discount over the full "Irish" price?

Any general observations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

J & R - was in there earlier this year. The Macy's of the electronics world in New York. Details here. Near Ground Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Theres Best Buy and Data Vision along with CompUSA all on 6th Avenue, if you find yourself at the Empire State building ,head up towards Central Park on that avenue and you'll see them all. Good offers in CompUSA as they have some refurb stuff too so worth checking out. Avoid all the tourist trap shops near Times Square and the likes,they'll rob ya blind compared to J&R and the other more reputible stores. Also you could try the apple store as they have some tasty laptops now too...
    On the ordering off ebay, thats exactly what I did when I was in the states (for a week) and I had the package delivered to my hotel. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as the US postal service package tracking service is rediculous, I checked online in the hotle and it said the package had "attempted to be delivered" but there was no-one to sign for it.
    This led to a 10pm trip to the Central post office behind Madison Sq. Gardens...long story short they never attempted to deliver the package at all,because it was a Saturday this is what they put up on the tracking website...and it was delivered Monday morning...bit horrendous really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Cheers Tom and Majik. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

Advertisement