Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Parasitic Pharmacys to withdraw from Drugs Payments scheme

Options
  • 05-10-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Due to a row between the HSE and the Irish Pharmacys, some of their members have written to their customers telling them that from 1st November they will demand payment of the whole lot and let the customer reclaim the first 85 euro from the Govt.

Currently there is no mechanism for refunding the 85: this was done away with one the refund scheme was set up.

This was all covered on the kenny radio show this am.

Its time to boycott these parasitical people and only purchase from them what cannot be bought elsewhwere: ie prescription drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

They get a 50% mark-up plus a Dispensing Fee for each Medical Card prescription they fulfil. We all know that the Medical Card Price is way cheaper than the full retail price that non Medical cardholders have to pay. What a rip-off. And then they have the cheek to claim they will go out of business. They are more than blood-sucking parasites. Anyone know a poor Pharmacist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

They get a 50% mark-up plus a Dispensing Fee for each Medical Card prescription they fulfil. We all know that the Medical Card Price is way cheaper than the full retail price that non Medical cardholders have to pay. What a rip-off. And then they have the cheek to claim they will go out of business. They are more than blood-sucking parasites. Anyone know a poor Pharmacist?

Why does this make them parasites? They are running a business. It is very expensve to run a business what with the cost of rent, rates, wages, insurance, purchasing stock, security, loan interest etc..

I'm sure the HSE could arrange to re-instate the refund scheme with very little effort. The problem probably stems from the fact that the HSE can refuse to pay out for medical card claims for any reason they want and by the time they inform the pharmasist of their refusal to pay it will be too late

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A bit like healthcare - you would expect them to be altruistic and espouse the values of their profession. If they want guarnteed bottom like they should buy a bookies.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Isn't the drug payment scheme the one where you pay the first 85 euro and that's it (per month) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

parsi wrote:
    Isn't the drug payment scheme the one where you pay the first 85 euro and that's it (per month) ?

And the good thing about that is that it is 85 euro per family. A godsend for a lot of people. You wouldnt be long running up 85 euro with some of the prices that pharmacists charge.

• Advertisement

I know. It's handy in fairness.
    Don't forget that you can claim your prescription and doctor fees back via your tax as well (form Med1 available from revenue.ie has the details).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think i remember when it was half that:D €45 or so... Yes if i got something from a pharmacy who then looked for the full price and expected me to reclaim... i would walk out the door with my prescription... Would not have to go far since pharmacies are like McDonalds in the US.. one on every street corner :D Then again, in the US there is also a Walgreens in every street corner :D

See that's where I'm confused - the Op states that the pharmacies will make us claim the 85 euro back but up to now we have had to pay the 85 ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What he is saying is right now, you pay €85 regardless of how much the drugs cost, lets say €350.. you pay €85 and the state covers the rest.

What he is saying is some will charge you the FULL ammount... which could be hundreds if not thousands and you will have to apply to the government for a refund. Im assuming of the cost of the drugs minus €85 you have to pay... at least i think thats what he is saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

You're incorrect there, on Medical Card prescriptions there is no mark-up at all, the only profit made is the €2-3 dispensing fee, which on items that can be priced up to a few hundred euro, that's quite a low profit margin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement