Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Motorbike sunglasses solutions

Options
  • 05-10-2007 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I’m finding motorcycling difficult this weather as I’m directly facing the sun to and from work. Temporarily I’ve started using normal glass/plastic sunglasses but I’d imagine these could take an eye out in the event of an accident. Can I ask motorcyclists what are the main (safe) options available for preventing being dazzled by the sun? Also, in terms of value for money, is there a cheaper option that can do the job (almost) as good as a more expensive one.

All tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I use sunglasses designed for sports. As long as the visor is down to prevent rocks hitting you etc is should be safe enough. I find skiing ones are the best to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I used to wear small oakleys which are very robust and slip into a helmet with ease. Also supposed to be shatter proof but that's not something I ever wanted to test. But they can be expensive.

I now use a Caberg helmet which has an integrated drop down sun visor, a few other Helmet makes do the same and this offers the best usability overall as the sun visor can be flipped quickly up or down depending on light conditions and there's nothing actually resting on the bridge of your nose etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I wear my prescription sunglasses when i can find them. tbh i never really thought about what they'd do in an accident, wearing them helps me avoid them though

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

I use a black visor on mine, I keep my clear one with me for riding home again at night, plus I were my glass's anyway ( prescription ) if I crash the bike the last thing on my mind is ,will my glass's shatter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I put my left hand up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I put my left hand up...

Ha, me too. I found sunglasses impaired my vision too much when not facing the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Inner tinted visor ftw!! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

I wear a pair of ray bans - very flexible and comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

I went to a Dublin based motorbike superstore at the weekend. All sunglass designs were fully framed (ie the glass was fully surrounded by a plastic frame). Prices that I saw ranged from €75 to €105 (**** Off). I’m sure I’ll get something similar in Lidl or Aldi over the next few weeks for a hell of a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Caberg dual-visor helmet.
    Clear visor on the outside, with a small flip-down tinted visor on the inside.

Can also be flipped up if you want to enjoy the weather - but you'll swiftly lose your face and neck if you come off ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

FrCrilly wrote:
    I went to a Dublin based motorbike superstore at the weekend. All sunglass designs were fully framed (ie the glass was fully surrounded by a plastic frame). Prices that I saw ranged from €75 to €105 (**** Off). I’m sure I’ll get something similar in Lidl or Aldi over the next few weeks for a hell of a lot less.
    Hey they might be crap but I think Maxol are doing 'driving sunglasses' for cheap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bandito

I have a pair of rubber framed Poleroids, one of those you can sit on and it wasnt really that expensive. The rubber frame works well getting it in and out of the helmet, you can put them in you pocket without a worry that they will get bust.
    For riding they are absolute Cr@p though. If you have had a pair of poliroids, you will know that car windows sometimes look strange with patterns or flowing colours. This is exactly what happens when you put your visor down, right in front of your eyes, besides being distracting its irritating, to say the least.

I just thought I should tell you what NOT to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Guarder C4 Shooting Glasses

Got these for airsoft, but they're great for on the bike. Choice of 4 lenses, removable foam around the sides and ballistic rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cheap FRAMES, expensive lenses. You want the frames to squash like a tomato in the event of an accident. This way, lens will pop out of the frames intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SidinNaas

A bit late maybe but I have found the best option is Bolle Mamba safety glasses - http://www.bolle-safety.eu/Mamba--3686.html

These have no frames so are great for the lifesaver and are easy to put on after the helmet due to the slim side arms. Also have some impact resistance and cost less than €8 a pair. Always carry a dark and clear pair with me. Not sure about outlets countrywide but in Dublin you can buy from Bunzl in Park West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

SidinNaas wrote: »
    A bit late maybe but I have found the best option is Bolle Mamba safety glasses - http://www.bolle-safety.eu/Mamba--3686.html

Just a tad, I think :rolleyes:

Good idea though with the safety glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I don't know this time of year the sun is low and gets in your eyes easily, at least with glasses (or a flip visor) you can take them off when it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

jeez wear sun myself and never considered the safety issues, apart from how vision is impaires slightly when things get a bit darker.

Surely in the event of a crash if you're helmet is crushed enough to worry about where the glasses go inside them, then you're head is gonna be in a pretty bad shape regardless?

not sure I worded that correctly....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whatever pair of shades you get make sure they are polarised otherwise you are wasting your money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Trying to find an orange for my helmet, supposed to be dogs danglys for killing glare but still grand for night time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Caberg V2

Comes with an internal visor, I'm surprised more helmets don't have this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mikemac wrote: »
    Caberg V2

Comes with an internal visor, I'm surprised more helmets don't have this

I love my V2r to bits, I find the blue visor the best.

Advertisement