Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charrging CC without aurthorisation

Options
  • 05-10-2007 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

In Sept 2006, I had Broadband installed. If you paid annually the installation fee was waived. I paid by visa for one year which was due to expire on October 02 2007. I was sent an invoice on Sept 14 2007. I did not acknowledge this or phone/email to make a payment but on Sept 17 my visa card was charged for another one year subscription. It is my understanding that they cannot charge my card without authorisation, especially three weeks in advance of the expiry. Is this company in the wrong? Their charge meant my card was maxed and I could not use it for neccessary expenses until after I got paid on Sept 28.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I recall paying my TV License by Credit Card once -they have continued to take payment on my CC ever since, even after losing my card and having it reissued. I certainly dont recall agreeing to multiple payments, so yes, it happens, but I dont know the legal position either..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They've probably got continual authorisation to debit (happens a lot for recurring subscription payments such as ISP's etc). I suggest you check what your signed up for with your broadband provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

BuffyBot wrote:
    They've probably got continual authorisation to debit (happens a lot for recurring subscription payments such as ISP's etc). I suggest you check what your signed up for with your broadband provider.

I never signed anything. I originally gave them my visa details over the phone and later I signed that I had received the installation and that I was happy with the connection and an invoice was issued. i am really not happy with this but would love to know my legal position. Maybe I will ring my Visa provider.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it was all done over the phone, it's your word against theirs really. You can ring your card issuer and they may be sympathethic, but on the other hand they would be quite within their right to tell you to sort it out with the ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You are well within your rights to issue a chargeback. However if you are still using the service you should just let it go. You continued to use the system and they continued to charge you in effect. However if you are no longer using the system I would go the chargeback route via your CC company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

The problem arose because I downgraded my service option. They had billed me early so I hadn't notified them yet. They were meant to refund the full amount and recharge for the new amount. However they just applied a partial refund for the balance but the figure refunded seemed to be plucked out of thin air and I think I have been overcharged. I got a new invoice which does not correspond to the actual amount I paid and it's a mess. All this would have been avoided if they waited for my authorisation. So I am going to send a letter of complaint. I'm thinking about just getting a refund and moving ISP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did you advise the provider that you wanted to pay the first year only by credit card? Its a recurring service where the assumption is your chosen recurring payment method is credit card unless you state otherwise.

EDIT: you posted a reply as i posted mine so i will just edit this post below.

If you have a dispute then thats a different story, ring your CC provider and inform them. They will place the amount in dispute (i.e. no interest will be charged) until its resolved.

Advertisement