Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAX Screws

Options
  • 04-10-2007 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Where in Kildare is the cheapest place to buy SPAX screws in large quantities?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

I would think that B&Q in Newbridge would be about the best place to look I know they have them in Liffey Valley so they should have them there.
    Regds. Boysie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Any Builders providers should be way cheaper than a DIY store. For example the screws I use in my job are 7 euros from a builders yard they are 20 in B&Q .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Do they have to be SPAX? I know I keep plugging Axminster but they have great prices on screws, better than I've ever seen in any builder's merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

carpainter wrote:
    Do they have to be SPAX? I know I keep plugging Axminster but they have great prices on screws, better than I've ever seen in any builder's merchant.
    Carpainter, I would have to agree about Axminster, maybe they do Spax but the only place I've seen Spax screws is in B&Q, They are not cheap. Regds. Boysie

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deragoth

Chadwicks sell SPAX screws, haggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hafele sell SPAX screws... check out www.hafele.ie

Hafele also do their own brand screws that are cheaper... but the SPAX screws are good alright... the heads are more accurately formed so more grab for the screwdriver bit, the shanks are slightly waxed so less friction when driving them and less abrasive on the fingers if driving loads of them... also the tip of the SPAX screws is specially formed to cut a thread... all this info is from a SPAX brochure but these very small differences do result in a better screw.

Hafele's own brand screws are very cheap if bought in 1,000's, warehouse in Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow.

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Just got this info from the Hafele website...

'Spax screws contain a number of innovative features that put them ahead of the wood screw pack. Let's start with the head and work our way to the point. The head has a special recess called "Unidrive", which allows it to driven with a Phillips, a Robertson (square) or a Pozidrive screwdriver or bit. Where the head meets the threaded shaft (the neck) there is a secondary bevel that strengthens this otherwise vulnerable area (heads don't snap off). The threads are deeper than all other screws (greater tearout resistance) and the threads nearest the tip are serrated (notched like a saw) to allow the edges to cut smooth threads. The serrated edges do one more thing; they are slightly fatter than the remainder of the threads, so the friction is greatly reduced. The steel is stress relieved, which leaves them hard but not brittle, and lastly they are finished with a slick "Teflon type" coating (polytetrafluoroethylene if you really must know). Pre-drilling is largely a thing of the past. This is really an awesome screw!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Pre-drilling is largely a thing of the past. This is really an awesome screw!'
    I've seen those SPAX screws and it would be hard to disagree with any of the claims excepts for the point about pre-drilling, especially when working with MDF- you'll always need to pre-drill. I'm happy enough with the cheaper screws and I always keep a small bit of a candle stick in my toolbox to help drive screws home more easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Thanks for the replies.
    Do they have to be SPAX?
    Yes, I found the SPAX screws very good and easy to screw in.
    I've seen those SPAX screws and it would be hard to disagree with any of the claims excepts for the point about pre-drilling, especially when working with MDF- you'll always need to pre-drill.
    That is correct.
    Hafele sell SPAX screws... check out www.hafele.ie
    Hafele also do their own brand screws that are cheaper... but the SPAX screws are good alright... the heads are more accurately formed so more grab for the screwdriver bit, the shanks are slightly waxed so less friction when driving them and less abrasive on the fingers if driving loads of them... also the tip of the SPAX screws is specially formed to cut a thread... all this info is from a SPAX brochure but these very small differences do result in a better screw.

Hafele's own brand screws are very cheap if bought in 1,000's, warehouse in Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow.

Cheers
    Joe
    That is just the thing, I bought these cheaper screws from Hafele and boy do I struggle with them. They never want to screw in as easy as the SPAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Tomazas

Did anyone tried star screws? The best ever used. (T25 tip)

• Advertisement
Advertisement