Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legend Of The Five Rings

Options
  • 03-10-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if there are any L5R players on boardsie. We're entering the third leg of The Race For The Throne, a huge world-wide competition which will have massive consequences for both the RPG and the CCG.

This is a game where what you do has a chance to affect the future of the game - don't pass up this chance!

I just trying to get ideas of how big the player base actually is in Ireland. It's be great if we cold run a kotei this year, but without numbers there'd be no point.

If you play, or are interested in playing, or if you used to play but have drifted away, please, please post here or pm me.

Your empire is calling - will you answer?! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I've been running a City of Lies campaign for about 3 years now.

Both my wife and I used to play the CCG, but got fed up with having to purchase new cards every few months. I think we last played in the Gold edition, and I haven't really paid attention to where the storyline has gone since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Cool! I've only played the RPG a couple of times, but then I only started playing the CCG a few months ago too. If you haven't been reading the fiction since gold, then there's loads that has happened.

What clans do ye play? I'm scorpion, as you can see from my sig. If you are interested in getting back into the CCG, a number of the clans are setting up card fund to help people get started.

This really is a great time to be in the game - there is just so much going on as the clans fight for the throne (even the ones who don't really want it!). There isn't as much on the RPG side, but there are competitions that aren't CCG specific. There was a character submission contest last leg, for instance. This leg there are things like a treatise on war in Rokugan, and an online clan attire contest.

Are there many people in your game group? Are you all RPG players only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

The RPG is very good, IMO. I heartily recommend the 3rd ed rules set.

Back when we were playing I had dragon to start with, my wife unicorn. We also had Lion and Mantis players, but they didn't get that far into it.

I've also played a scorpion deck, and had fun with that. My current RPG character is a scorpion, though shes more an NPC / GM NPC in the RPG.

There's about a half dozen in my gaming group at present. One of them was the Lion player, but I don't think he has any interest in taking it up again. The others never played ... I don't think they were with the group back then actually. No idea if they would be interested or not. To my knowledge they're pretty much exclusively RPG players.

Have you tried contacting any of the gaming clubs around the city to see if there might be some interested there? Since I'm not sure plugging is allowed, send me a PM and I'll tell you where I play wargames on a weekly basis. You might get some interested parties there, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm a big fan of the RPG, but I have various issues about the links between the RPG storyline and the card game. Frankly, I think that there's simply too much going on in the card game, and consequently, the RPG history is starting to look vaguely rediculous. Whenever I run games these days, they're almost always in the 1st edition setting.

The 3rd edition ruleset is certainly well put-together, but there's a couple of things that really annoy me. The main one would be the number of school techniques that modify initiative or TN - stuff like "add half your horsemanship to your TN, and your water ring to all 'to hit' rolls". There's just too much messing around if you're running a campaign that features 4+ players. Nevertheless, using a bit of GM's discretion (or an iron fist, if you like), its workable, and its certainly my favourite RPG setting by a distance.

Advertisement