Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NDP EURO Signage

Options
  • 03-10-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here or not but Im wondering why every major and minor building project undertaken by the state has to have massive signs stating what were when and who on a project. i can understand why they display these signs while a project is been built but for years after most of these signs remain up. If your driving onto the M9 just before the motorway starts from the Castledermot end a massive sign is diplayed on the side of the road. This sign is up years. It says who built the road etc. To be honest i dont care who builds the road I just want it built. Other examples are at train stations about signals etc. Any ideas why these signs go up and why they never seem to come down?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

fitzyshea wrote:
    Not sure if this belongs here or not but Im wondering why every major and minor building project undertaken by the state has to have massive signs stating what were when and who on a project. i can understand why they display these signs while a project is been built but for years after most of these signs remain up. If your driving onto the M9 just before the motorway starts from the Castledermot end a massive sign is diplayed on the side of the road. This sign is up years. It says who built the road etc. To be honest i dont care who builds the road I just want it built. Other examples are at train stations about signals etc. Any ideas why these signs go up and why they never seem to come down?
    It's so the incumbent political party can continue to take credit for them for years afterwards. They annoy me greatly. The government is anxious to put signs like these up, but shows no interest in taking them down. In other countries it's normal for signs like these to be up during construction, but not afterwards. We need to have rules governing their removal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

I actually think its a good thing. If the govenrment is going to rant and rave about Transport 21 - it's nice to see the logo sub-conciously every now and again. Makes you actually realize that its 'happening' and not just 'talk' like most things :P

Its all a mind game :)

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

To remind us of how much of our infrastructure is down to the EU.

I heard that farmers in receipt of EU grants may soon have to erect EU (or NDP) flags on their farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Cionád wrote: »

Which gets its money from...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Cionád wrote: »
    What? The only assistance available from the EU for Ireland now (since 2003) is 10% of the cost of a TEN project. For example, in the case of roads, if the road is a Euroroute. Apart from that , funding for Ireland dried up in 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

spacetweek wrote: »
    What? The only assistance available from the EU for Ireland now (since 2003) is 10% of the cost of a TEN project. For example, in the case of roads, if the road is a Euroroute. Apart from that , funding for Ireland dried up in 2003.

I know we are now a net contributor but prior to this we we're riding the (EU funded) gravy train. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are something I'd love to blow up with an Abrams tank. I'd start at Rosslare on the N25 and make my around the counties N routes at a leisurely pace with plenty of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

mike65 wrote: »
    They are something I'd love to blow up with an Abrams tank. I'd start at Rosslare on the N25 and make my around the counties N routes at a leisurely pace with plenty of ammo.

Mike65, while you're at it, would you ever rid the landscape of that most odious visual blight of all - the road opening memorial stone !!

The number of these around the country documenting how our "great little country" has pulled itself up by the bootstraps and built bypass after wonderful bypass, and then some local councillor, Minister of State, or God forbid, an actual Cabinet Minister (please bow in respect now !) gets the credit by being the "dignitary" asked to open the road, as if they personally had toiled day and night on building it, and all that after funding it out of their own pocket ! NOT !

God, those things are a complete embarassment, and only serve to highlight how in thrall much of the population are of their political masters !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those offical openings also allow a project to be "opened" twice as they are always up and running before some Minister deigns to cut the ribbon. So they get two articles referencing thier fine works.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I think the whole idea should be dropped. Its a road ffs who cares? Just open it already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

The EU signs may be another matter but the NDP signs are a blatant example of electioneering by the government parties subtly masked as notices of state investment. There is no doubt as to where this investment is coming from; the majority of the funding for the NDP is derived from government tax returns - we don't need big, ugly signs telling us so or insinuating that the delivery of such projects is delivered to the Irish people by the Irish Government in some way independent from exchequer returns collected from those same people. Surely that's what a democratically elected government is all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

In Canada, anything federally funded gets this "wordmark" slapped on it.
    wmms.gif

Same for the provinces, like
    quebec.gif
    ontario.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

It's the EU who require those signs to be erected on anything that's EU funded. If you get any R&D grants funded by EU or funding for anything from them you must display the fact on literature, websites etc.

Incidently Lotto funding for Sports Clubs etc has rules regarding displaying "Funded by National Lottery" etc etc.

Just to show where the money goes I suppose.

Advertisement