Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuweather my arse!

Options
  • 03-10-2007 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay forcasting is as much an art as science beyond about 5 days but Accuweathers 15 day forcasts are becoming a joke, yesterday they had 10 wet days in my local forcast with only 1 day marked as sunny, (obviously rain and sun can happen within the same day!), today is the exact opposite

Waterford weather

I've been watching the guesses for a while now and have decided its a useless feature unless we have a high pressure zone anchored by us, in which case anyone can make a decent fist of it.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

TBH - Anything beyond 8 or 9 days seems to be very unreliable. With the GFS charts, each run normally produces a very different chart on the ninth day.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I first used accuweather to see if it was worth my while getting tickets for the electric picnic last month (I'd usually use the UKmet 5 day f/c)....from the 15 day limit until the actual day before the concert they had a relatively consistent forecast for Laois, which in the end was almost 100% accurate (except for the torrential shower on sunday)....given that this was during the presence of an azores high, and wouldn't have been too hard to get some concurring models, but it did hat it said on the tin for me, so I'll trust them again next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Just in relation to longterm forcasts, this site may be of help www.windguru.cz

Tho to access the beter predictions you have to be a subscriber. That said tho once you do that it lets you enter the gps co-ordinates for the location you want the forcast for. But then again some of you might know where MM5/WRF are available for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

mike65 wrote:
    Okay forcasting is as much an art as science beyond about 5 days but Accuweathers 15 day forcasts are becoming a joke, yesterday they had 10 wet days in my local forcast with only 1 day marked as sunny, (obviously rain and sun can happen within the same day!), today is the exact opposite

Waterford weather

I've been watching the guesses for a while now and have decided its a useless feature unless we have a high pressure zone anchored by us, in which case anyone can make a decent fist of it.

Mike.

Accuweather is a misnomer.

It should be Notaccuweather. I was in correspondence with them when they took over the previous owner of the site. They couldn't spell any of the Irish placenames and it took over a month for to get them to put it right. And I would never rely on their forecasts at all.

The site I use mostly now for a week ahead is Ogimet, (Senor Valor). He's pretty good. Windguru is good and so also is Theyr.tv. (3 days only) (You can get free access to the original Theyr site through Marcus Pfister's Westwind.)

15 days is pushing it though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I've never found them very good/accurate either. And The Irish Times have been getting their weather from them for the last few years since when I've lost all interest in their weather page!
    WeatherOnline seems reasonably reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement