Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collins Documentary on RTE

Options
  • 02-10-2007 10:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

Alright one of the usual topics and many historians have written books about collins and his role in the war of independence. a documentary on rte is airing. what do you make of it? if the moderator feels this is old news by all means shut the thread down and sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Wasn't overly impressed to be honest. Saw it at the IFI a couple of weeks back. Thought the dramatisations were dreadful and that the producers just went through the motions really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Yeah, thought it was very poor, it implied that it had new, ground breaking information on Collins etc but apart from this British contact called Cope, it had nothing that we didn't know anyway.
    It reminds me of many of the documentaries you see about WW2. I mean how many times can you tell the story of D Day, Iwo Jima, Battle of Britian etc. I'm not trying to knock the courage and sacrifice of those invovled, but, well, you can only tell the same story X amount of times before it becomes just the same old reputiton. Same with last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I found it interesting enough, I thought the music a couple of times during the dramatised sequences was a bit dodgy :rolleyes:. But yeah, nothing really 'ground breaking' as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

i thought the Cope issue wass already written on extensvely in the 1996 book - ira intellegence during the war ( i note the author contributed in the doc) ye all probably heard Tom Barry's tales about been stopped by soldiers with collins only for collins to tell him act drunk ( idea of what collins had put himself under when he waas on the run). strange how no one bar the historians note that sean lemass took part in the group during bloody sunday

bit disappointed alright, but maybe it may be of use to younger people who cant be bothered to pick up a book.

who do you think rte should focus on next, or is there any point?

maybe arthur griffith (there are one or two things people have mis judged him on eg susposedly being monacharist and a pacifist etc, brian maye in his book note this) or what about, gasp, edward carson?

Advertisement