Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Miss Selling by Banks

Options
  • 02-10-2007 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

My mother got her retirement lump sum recently and arranged a meeting with the Manager of her local bank branch to discuss putting it on deposit while she decides what to do with it long term.

The woman told showed her a brochure for a deposit product they have and claimed it paid 4.5% PER QUARTER. My mother asked me for advice on it and I naturally told her that this was impossible - that it would be over 4 times what the bank gets for money on the money market and it couldn't be done. She contacted the Manager a second time and put this to her and again the Manager was adamant that this was the case. My mother suggested (prompted by me) that it was payable quarterly but the rate was 4.5% PER ANNUM. The Manager insisted that the rate applying was 4.5% PER QUARTER. She said that it was a product brought out to capture SSIA money, it was reviewable quarterly but had been going for 3 quarters now and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't continue.

On hearing this I decided to ring the banks head office and they referred me to an investment advisor in another branch. She peddled the same line about the product until I stopped her in her tracks and asked her if she would guarantee me €4,500 on 31 March if I put in €100k on 1 January. She then said oh no, its 4.5% per annum, payable quarterly. My mother returned to the original branch the following day with a view to getting the Manager to write down what the 3 month return would be on a piece of paper (to be produced at a later date). Immediately it was obvious from the behaviour of the Manager that she didn't want to talk to her. She even suggested that BOI were paying a higher rate than them on deposits, to get rid of her a quickly as possible.

People should beware that Bank staff have huge targets and are under such immense pressure to sell that some will resort to underhand methods. This has been exacerbated of late by the current slowdown.

The old rule when investing applies; if its seems too good to be true - stay away from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Who is Miss Selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

She even suggested that BOI were paying a higher rate than them on deposits, to get rid of her a quickly as possible.

Who was the bank, I'm not sure by your post. Was the advisor now saying goto BOI with the investment?
    Seems like someone giving poor advice or unclear communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

My mother got her retirement lump sum recently and arranged a meeting with the Manager of her local bank branch to discuss putting it on deposit while she decides what to do with it long term.

The woman told showed her a brochure for a deposit product they have and claimed it paid 4.5% PER QUARTER. My mother asked me for advice on it and I naturally told her that this was impossible - that it would be over 4 times what the bank gets for money on the money market and it couldn't be done. She contacted the Manager a second time and put this to her and again the Manager was adamant that this was the case. My mother suggested (prompted by me) that it was payable quarterly but the rate was 4.5% PER ANNUM. The Manager insisted that the rate applying was 4.5% PER QUARTER. She said that it was a product brought out to capture SSIA money, it was reviewable quarterly but had been going for 3 quarters now and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't continue.

On hearing this I decided to ring the banks head office and they referred me to an investment advisor in another branch. She peddled the same line about the product until I stopped her in her tracks and asked her if she would guarantee me €4,500 on 31 March if I put in €100k on 1 January. She then said oh no, its 4.5% per annum, payable quarterly. My mother returned to the original branch the following day with a view to getting the Manager to write down what the 3 month return would be on a piece of paper (to be produced at a later date). Immediately it was obvious from the behaviour of the Manager that she didn't want to talk to her. She even suggested that BOI were paying a higher rate than them on deposits, to get rid of her a quickly as possible.

People should beware that Bank staff have huge targets and are under such immense pressure to sell that some will resort to underhand methods. This has been exacerbated of late by the current slowdown.

The old rule when investing applies; if its seems too good to be true - stay away from it.

That is such a poor thing to do....

The best thing you said is about Bank Staff being under pressure to sell.....that is 100000% true and someone try'd there luck with your mum...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Who is Miss Selling?
    ....and in which bank/branch does she work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

....and in which bank/branch does she work?

Shes the bank manager - did you not read it properly. Beware of Miss Selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm impressed that she actually got to speak to someone! The Financial Planner in my local bank branch is impossible to get hold of. I cant even get anyone in the branch to answer the phone

If I was her I'd have got it all in writing initially and then brought them to the Regulator - thats disgraceful practice! Under the new Consumer Protection Code these people all have to be Qualified Financial Advisers and pass exams and maintain a minimum continuing level of education!

Better still, PM me the bank details and I'll go round myself and open an account!!

Advertisement