Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance

Options
  • 02-10-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Anyone know who is good and € reanonable for house (home) insurance. What should one not include on policy...in other words what drives the premium sky high.
    Look forward to comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Best quote.ie, 123.ie or insure.ie take the sting out of looking at various insurers. However if you have motor insurance chances are youcan get at least a 10% discount with the same insurer. Quinn direct have a good offer at the minute.
    Apart from the obvious of building & contents cover, if you have a shed see if its also covered, sometimes this is covered seperately. Smoke alarms & burglar alarms give discounts too (1% usually...). Chances are you could also be asked about type of locks on doors, windows & other intruder deterents...

One other thing. I've known & being told about areas where houses were built on old flood plains, reclaimed land etc, where insurers can get a little sticky if a claim ever needed to be lodged. Of course in the unlikely event of damage due to war no amount of policy will cover you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I took home insurance with 123.ie around a year ago. I had got quotes from around 8 different companies and they were almost half the price of the others.

My parents changed their insurance to 123.ie around the same time on 4 or 5 houses and they have made a claim on one of the policies (burst pipe caused flooding) with no problems at all, it was a quick payout.

A couple of things to note are:

1) The rebuild value on your house is NOT the price you paid for it, it is usually much lower as the site your house is built on usually accounts for at least 30% of the cost of the house. The lower the rebuild value, the cheaper the insurance.

2) When I got my quote there was no difference between getting €10k contents cover than €60k contents cover so when you are getting a quote see how high you can push the cover without increasing the premuim.

3) If you select that you would be willing to pay a higher excess fee such as €200 or €500 or higher you will get a good discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I get my insurance from a broker in the North. ( I live in Dublin and my family has properties insured by them in Clare and Dublin)
    http://www.insurancepartnership.com/

worth checking their rates out.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

nosmo-king wrote:
    Anyone know who is good and € reanonable for house (home) insurance. What should one not include on policy...in other words what drives the premium sky high.
    Look forward to comments.

be careful what you miss out because god forbid you have to claim the insurance company will look for any opportunity to screw you.

House insurance quotes will be low if you have smoke alarms and a certified installed house alarm. If you live near Limerick try Reddan Brokers.... I got a very good quote to renew last week. 260 for a 3 bed bungalow in the sticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

1) The rebuild value on your house is NOT the price you paid for it, it is usually much lower as the site your house is built on usually accounts for at least 30% of the cost of the house. The lower the rebuild value, the cheaper the insurance.

This is very true, a fairly accurate amount for a re-build is 130 euro per square foot, in other words if your house is 1000 squre foot then you should have it insured for 130000 euro. This should cover clearing your site, rebuilding your home and rental of a place to live while the work is being carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i went with 123.ie this year and i got my insurance for a €100.00 less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Spades wrote:

This is very true, a fairly accurate amount for a re-build is 130 euro per square foot, in other words if your house is 1000 squre foot then you should have it insured for 130000 euro. This should cover clearing your site, rebuilding your home and rental of a place to live while the work is being carried out.

Most house insurance websites will have rebuilding calculators.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try fbd too.

There quote was better then quinn for my car insurance and better then 123.ie for my house insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Thanks to all for ins info.
    FBD seem to be the best and nearly the cheapest.
    Tks again

Advertisement