Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skewed milk price

Options
  • 02-10-2007 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how my local centra can charge .€0.97 for a liter of milk and charge over €2.00 for a two liter of milk? That doesnt make any sense to me. I emailed glanbia, but they ignored me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I believe there is a minimum price of milk set by the producers but the shop can charge what it likes above this.
    In answer to your question: They can charge that much because they can.

Vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

or rathaer with my hands.. I bought 2x1 liters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tesco do the same with their apple and orange juice.

Its cheaper to buy 1l packs on their own than 4l multi pack

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thats quite common. When i worked in dunnes a few years ago a twin pack of coke was about 80c more than two 2 litre bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A lot of people just grab what they perceive as value packs without checking the price.

If anyone has any evidence that there is a minimum retail price set for milk, they should contact The Competition Authority. Price fixing is illegal (and immoral).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I was with centra and now with londis so I am able to answer this.

Milk is completely unregulated pricewise. If you are saying they are the same milk brand just priced arseways then it is the manager not using his cop-on.

There is no set price for milk in this country. As for contacting glanbia, it is nothing to do with them. They sell milk to the shop and the shop is free to sell at its own price. Noone, not even centra head office can dictate the price for anything. All the shops are independently owned and as such are free to do as they like. Even when you see a special price for something advertised, the small print often says at participating stores only so if you try to dictate a price to a shop the answer will be we are not participating.

As someone has previously mentioned, it is a free country, vote with your feet. Although I would point it out quietly to the manager as it is possible he has not noticed. There could be several hundred prices coming down every week and he has the ability to set each price as he sees fit. He may have missed the 1l carton.

Advertisement