Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Car Window

Options
  • 02-10-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hey guys looking for a bit of advice here.

I bought a second hand car earlier this summer (2002 MG TF) from a Dublin based car dealership.

While test driving the car i noticed the passenger electric window wasnt functioning correctly. I was pleased with the rest of the car and agreed to buy it on the condition that the window was repaired.

When I returned to collect the car the window was working and I was informed that it had cost them over €300 to replace the motor within the window mechanism.

Now a little over 2 months later the same window has stopped functioning. I have had a mechanic out to look at it and he tells me that the motor is completely kaput and that it was never replaced just tinkered with to give it a little bit of life. This is going to cost me just shy of €500 to repair.

My question is whether or not i have any recourse with the garage, as I had expressly made this a condition of sale and they had told me they had replaced and not "repaired" the unit.

I am planning on contacting them today but would like to have my facts straight first from a consumer rights point of view.

Thanks for any help,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

If it was an implied term for the sale was it mentioned on your sales receipt from the dealer? While verbal may be alright for a dealer you know, afraid it counts little with the bigger boys, as it would be a case of he said, she said.
    While it could be worth while chasing the dealer up on it (depending how customer orientated it is), chances are you'll get the old yarn - it was working when you left here. While you may have secured a 6/12 month used car warranty with the car.. it usually doesn't cover "wear components" such as electric motors, brake pads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Read this from today's Irish Times - 3 rd question down

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/1003/1191223058639.html

Advertisement