Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a recommendation

Options
  • 02-10-2007 1:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this is probably one of the most annoying types of threads on here, but I'd really appreciate some advice on the matter.

My current laptop (A Dell Inspiron 6000, nearly 2 years old) is on its last legs. The problem lies in the screen, so I figure it'd be as cheap to upgrade as repair. I can probably get another few months from it (fingers crossed!). Any way, I'll be upgrading soon, but I really don't have a large budget. I'm hoping someone can suggest something!

Ideally I'd like:

1gb RAM
    <80 GB HD
    15.4" screen

I use my laptop constantly, but for nothing more than college work, the internet and email and occasionally streaming TV and video clips. I also usually watch DVD's on it. If possible, I'd like it to have a multi-region DVD player and a built-in microphone, but they're expendable. It gets carried around a bit, mostly when I'm travelling between Edinburgh and Ireland though. Other than that, it sits on my desk. I'd still like it to be fairly light, if possible, should I want to bring it with me somewhere.

Like I said, I don't have a big budget or any fancy requirements. I'm looking for laptops under about £500 (€750). I don't want a Mac simply because my copies of things like Word won't be compatible with it, and I don't want a Dell because I'm sick of them.

So, all suggestions welcome! Thanks!

/edit: I'm thinking of something like this, but I'm afraid I'm not looking closely enough and it'll actually be crap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I know you said you were sick of Dell, but seriously have a look at their Vostro line, for the price you pay you can't get better...

You have to go through their business portal, but you don't have to be a business to buy one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd have to agree with dulpit. The vostros are great value for money. Should be able to whip one together with 2GBs of ram and a 120GB hard drive for around €750.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dell Support is pretty poor though, in my experience. Do you really think that their computers are better than those of HP or Toshiba or someone?

Even if they are good value for money, I'd prefer one that's more likely to last longer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Faith wrote:
    Dell Support is pretty poor though, in my experience. Do you really think that their computers are better than those of HP or Toshiba or someone?

Even if they are good value for money, I'd prefer one that's more likely to last longer.

I wouldn't touoch HP after the problems two of my friends had with them. They mat have just got unlucky but I won't chance it. Don't know about toshiba, I've never had one but I've heard they are good.
    I have a 1 year dell laptop and my parents have a 3 1/2 year old dell desktop. My laptop hasn't had a problem since I've had it. The desktop is acting up but it's a windows problem.

My parents are also getting my sister a laptop for college (around the €700 mark also) and they were going to go to pc world. I told them I would disown them if they did. People hate dell and I can't understand why. For what they do they do a good job. I always recommend them. I've also never once had to deal with customer service so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Like the posters before I would recommend buying a dell laptop they are inexpensive and I think they have an unuly bad reputation my office uses dell machines and i have never had any major issues while supporting them.

I have previoulsy bought myself HP's and wouldn't be wuick to buy one again simply becasue I can get a better overall package from dell for less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Harvey Normans have a Toshiba within your spec for € 549.00!! Unbelievable.

Just to let you know faith if you plan on running vista on it you should be looking for at least 2 gigs of ram.

Is it worth upgrading to Vista yet? I've been thinking about it and can't decide. I'm pretty comfortable with XP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Faith wrote:
    Is it worth upgrading to Vista yet? I've been thinking about it and can't decide. I'm pretty comfortable with XP!

If buying a new laptop I would probably take vista for future proofing but wouldn't upgrade an existing system to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jesus. The OP says anything but Dell and still has to put up with the Dell pimps! There are enough threads on here about Dell so give us a break.

You'll pick up a decent Toshiba for less than €750 which will more than meet your requirements. (I've had a couple of Toshibas and can't fault them). Like the previous poster I'd go with Vista on a new machine unless you have loads of peripherals which won't work with it.

• Advertisement

Jesus. The OP says anything but Dell and still has to put up with the Dell pimps! There are enough threads on here about Dell so give us a break.

You'll pick up a decent Toshiba for less than €750 which will more than meet your requirements. (I've had a couple of Toshibas and can't fault them). Like the previous poster I'd go with Vista on a new machine unless you have loads of peripherals which won't work with it.

The dells are great value at the moment and at a price range like this they do need to be considered.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I saw a pretty savage Siemens Fujitsu with 2gb RAM and 120gb HD for the same price as the 1gb ram and 80gb hd Dell Vostro, so I'll probably go with that when I get a bit of cash together.

While the Dells sound good, there's enough threads here about delays to put me off. Also because my last 2 laptops were Dells and neither of them lasted very long, I don't want another.

As for the delivery, I think the delays are down to a respectable time. Havok recently bought one and the delivery was only a week. I ordered one for my sister on Wednesday so I'll let you know how that goes.

The dell vostros have a great warranty, it's a next business day warranty but saying that if I had 2 laptops from the same company and they went tits up, I'd probably stay clear too.

Advertisement