Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And you thought Irelands DCs were dangerous??

Options
  • 02-10-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Was in France a few weeks ago and travelled on the A40 from Cluses to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc and back.

Officially, the A40 ends just before the road heads up into the mountain, only because the road is not motorway quality. The road is infact dual up to the Mont Blanc tunnel, save for a small bit of S2 near Chamonix that is being upgraded.

Travelling along the A40 towards Chamonix -

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

At one point, just at the end of the A40, the road bears left and must travel up into a valley.

Going uphill is fine, you go up this very impressive and quite new viaduct (wonder if anyone on here has more info about it??).

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

Impressive view of Mont Blanc at the top -

IMG_6084.jpg

Coming down is another story. The viaduct is D2, and only carries uphill traffic. From what I can gather, the old road (both sides of it) is used as the downhill way. This leads to a downright dangerous (with a low speed limit) windy D2. Its quite an experience to drive it.

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

Best shown in a video, you can see the uphill traffic on the viaduct too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoKi_kHaLSo

Then the road runs directly into the A40 "Autoroute Blanche" which takes us back to Cluses (and further). No wonder its not labelled A40 up to Chamonix!!!

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Where is the dangerous part?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kearnsr wrote:
    Where is the dangerous part?
    I was wondering the same thing as it happens. It's bendy, so what? It's pretty obvious it's bendy, and from what I saw there's a 70km/h limit on it. It seems to be well maintained and well signposted too, so what's the problem. I've driven on autobahns, albeit quite old and obscure ones, in Germany that weren't much bendier than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

So nice photos there.

Most your pictures are of straight roads with no apparent dangers.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I'd love to drive on those roads! Lots of nice scenery too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id say its a lot safer than when ti used to be two way...I guess the camera car was keeping to the limits as there were a lot of overtakers...mad french drivers i guess....id love to take my Cortrina down there (or up there if theyd let me....even the new uphill bit looks a thrill and a half...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd say the fact that French Autoroutes have a dry speed limit of 130 km/h and there is all that stunning scenery to look at makes it dangerous!

Actually, even though I've never driven on them, I think that the French Autoroutes that I've been on aren't even half the standards that our old DCs would be. They certainly are not as good as our HQDCs/Motorways, yet they have a higher speed limit.

If 130 is safe enough on those type of roads, then surley 140 or even 150 is safe enough for ours?

And don't tell me about the poor standard of Irish Driving, I know we have that problem, but bad driving and speeding are 99% of the time totally unrelated(unless while driving badly you happen to be speeding).

If we had more Guards out enforcing the rules of the road(other than speeding, that seems to be the only rule they ever enforce), then people might and its a big might just improve somewhat their standard of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Those roads look LOVELY!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I can assure you that that road, from Chamonix towards Geneva is quite windy, and there's a bastard of a speed camera just before a bridge on it. This is the only camera on the entire road, in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And you thought Irelands DCs were dangerous??

We did? :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement