Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockheed L1011 vs Douglas DC-10

Options
  • 01-10-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Right lads who prefers which?

I recently downloaded the SGA DC-10 for Flight Simulator 2004 and have gorwn to love the sheer size of the planbe but it seemingly has a chequered past safety wise...until they soprted out the flaws that is.

Anyway...could this turn into an A320 vs 737 type debate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fabio wrote:
    Right lads who prefers which?

I recently downloaded the SGA DC-10 for Flight Simulator 2004 and have gorwn to love the sheer size of the planbe but it seemingly has a chequered past safety wise...until they soprted out the flaws that is.

Anyway...could this turn into an A320 vs 737 type debate?

I see more DC10s taking off from shannon now more than any other wide bodied Jet thanks to the Irish Government permitting US military stop overs. ATA and Omni Air International use the DC10 30 almost exclusively. Most of these would have been retired from major carriers such as Northwest, American Airlines and Swissair. These planes had an earlier reputation for falling out of the sky and would have been a contributing factor of the downfall of Laker Airways. I rarely see a L1011 in Shannon apart from the odd charterd one from ATA, a few years back Aer Lingus leased one from Caledonian Airways. I prefere the awesom looks of the DC10 to the L1011.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Indeed I prefer the DC10, moreso the MD11

Omni now have a base in Shannon for crewing etc etc

ATA have aquired ex NWA DC10's. N701TZ and N702TZ have so fare been delivered, more to come. Replacement for the L1011

Heres 702TZ

normal_DC10_N702TZ_ATA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I remember the DC10 thing clearly.

The THY one where the cargo hatch wasn't sealed caused explosive decompression over Paris, and the rear of the aircraft basically fell apart. And there were a couple of US ones where the engines fell off . Those were traced to people not using the correct procedures when maintaining the engines.

I always thought the DC10 looked fantastic, esp in LH colours.

I have flown on both ( BA , Delta and ATA Tristars , World Airways DC10 )

The ATA one was a cheap charter to Florida about 10 years ago , my god what a heap of an aircraft. As we took off from LGW half the roof lights fell off onto the passengers, about 10 % of the seats were broken, most of the toilets didn't work, and the service ... OMG ! I have never been so glad to get home. I wonder what those poor GI's think , I suppose they don't care they just want to get home.

I don't think the DC10 thing helped Laker, but I think his problems were pure nastyness/dirty tricks from TWA/PA/BA, bascially they told McD / AB that they would never buy another aircraft from them unless they stopped giving credit to Laker.
    It's thanks to Laker that FR exist if you ask me, they had a very similar idea, they even used to ensure that the Bac111 took off after a heavy jet so they could use the turbluance to save fuel on take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I always prefered the L1011 because the rear engine was encorporated more into the design of the aircraft rather than just put there like the DC10. I do like both tri-jets though. I also liked the 727 and the trident with it's offset nose wheel.
    I used see more L1011's when I was young in Shannon and Dublin, but now it's all DC10/MD11's. However only the Friday before last I saw an L1011 going into Shannon as I was driving towards Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Both ugly aircraft but the lockheed wins in the looks department as the rear engine blends into the body unlike the DC10. IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Davidth88 wrote:
    I wonder what those poor GI's think , I suppose they don't care they just want to get home.

Pretty much, though in fairness the staff (and on Omni Air) are very friendly. Besides, Economy Class is Economy Class. Miserable any day of the week.

http://data.primeportal.net/videos/nlm/pillows.MOV (11MB, inflight entertainment, lasted about 45 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_tu7yzoes Exiting the Tristar.

Also in fairness to ATA, they've improved drastically since ten years ago. The military charters are currently a minority component of their business, they now do primarily regularly scheduled service with a fleet of 737 and 757 aircraft. I'll see if I can take some photos of their aircraft at work this week.

NTM

Advertisement