Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice safe pubs in Drogheda?

Options
  • 01-10-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

goin to be in drogheda in the next couple of weeks with work! any cool bars/ safe bars to go out in? have heard some horror stories!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Bru,
    Redz bar,
    D hotel Bar,
    McPhails,

really depends on what your looking for to be honest but you will have alof of choice. Its the same in every town you have a good/nice pubs and then the **** holes.

http://www.drogheda.ie/index.php

goodluck

out of interest what horror stories??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

DISCLAMER: The following is simply my opinion, and has nothing to do with boards.ie

Yeah these are good:

McPhails in Laurence Street - The name on the shopfront is Peter Matthews. Probably the best pub in the town - never any trouble.

McHughs in Cord Road - Quiet front bar, with a BIG function room at the back, frequently has concerts and live music.

Clarke's at the top of Peter Street is a nice quiet pub.

Carberry's on the North Quay is a traditional Irish pub with trad music - Nice quiet pub like Clarke's.

The Laurence's Inn - At the bottom of Laurence Street - big time sports bar with friendly locals, you're welcome here in your GAA/Soccer Jerseys. Pub Grub available all day too.

For a bite to eat you can't beat Foley's in Mell. There's also Daly's in Donore, a small village outside the town is yummy.

Bru is nice, but a bit upmarket for my tastes. Good place to bring a date to impress them.

Redz and Barocco in West Street are great disco pubs. Redz has recently opened a vodka cocktails bar. I haven't been in but aparently it's nice, if pricey.

As far as places I wouldn't be a fan of (ahem) -
    Corrigan's in Trinity Street,
    Dolan's Corner in Sunday's Gate
    Murphy's in Thomas Street
    The Central in Peter Street

These are the kind of places that when they have a table quiz the first
    question is "What are YOU looking at?" :)

What horror stories have you heard????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Good discription's barneysplash. :) Have to agree with you.

Read these threads as well.
    Best
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055072572
    Worst
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=285911&referrerid=&highlight=pubs

What are the horror stories have you heard? Never had any trouble myself but I suppose there are a few pubs I'd never even think of going into. West St. isn't the nicest place at 03:30 on a friday or saturday nite for example.

Star is another pub I quite like for a late drink at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Dingatron wrote:

Star is another pub I quite like for a late drink at the weekend.

Yes, for the benefit of people not from the town - West Street is the main street in Drogheda. Over the last 18 months it has been progressively pedestrianized.

This has resulted in the whole area becoming a building site - There are many security barriers and uneven surfaces that result in josteling at the best of time. Add in night-time and drink and you have a fight waiting to happen.

i've personally seen fights in confined spaces along this area. Nasty stuff.

I generally stay away from west street after closing time unless I'm in a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gibster

I used to love carberry's about 10-12 years ago.... recently had a couple of hours to kill one evening in town so went in for a couple.. there was NO-ONE there, just mrs. carberry's daughter behind the bar and she's not particularly welcoming... and it was FREEZING.

Clarke's and Gleason's are the best pubs in town. Honourable mention to Morgan's in Newtownstalaban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

Yep lawrences and Barroco's are safe enough pubs

two thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

gibster wrote: »
    I used to love carberry's QUOTE]

The ONLY time i'd ever go in there was on a Tues night when they used to play a bit of live music...don't know if they do that any more though?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi All

Good list of pubs!
    Does anyone know if Redz disco bar that you mentioned is general pop music or rave/dance? -Not really into Rave but totally into late drink!!
    Heading to Drogheda for June bank holiday weekend with boyfriend and we're staying in the DHotel.
    If anyone could also recomend somewhere nice to eat, I'd really appreciate it. I generally find Hotel food isn't great.
    Somewhere italian/european would be great, the b'f is a meat and two veg man!! Restaurant or good barfood preferably would be ideal.

Many THanks!!!
    Heading to Drogheda for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Ive only eatenin the D restaurant a once the food was good but a bit pricey.

If you like Italian "Bella Atina" is on the opposite side of the river to the D and is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth

Hey,

Bella Atina is a great Italian, but i recommend booking. Number is 041 9844878.

Go for the Pollo ai Funghi (Probably spelt wrong), Chicken with Mushrooms and roasted potatoes. it is to die for.

D food is nice but as was said it is over priced, and the service can be a let down.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭gipi

Couple more suggestions:

Martello's Greek/Med restaurant (booking recommended - 041 9835741), a bit pricy but very nice and if you get a table in the conservatory, wonderful views over the town! Close for the D hotel too.

For Italian, Borzalino's in Mell gets great reviews - 041 9845444.

For barfood in town, Barocco (in the Westcourt hotel on West St) is good, or if you have transport, Donegan's in Monasterboice or The Valley Inn near Dunleer (both north of Drogheda on the old road to Dundalk) aren't bad.

And for a really good nosh-up late in the evening, Eddie Rocket's is just across from the hotel....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Someone said Clarkes is a nice quiet pub, Jesus thats an underestimation. if ye breathe heavily shell kick ye out :D

Try NOLANS (formerly Gardners) on the Cord Road, nice locals and the craic is mighty, the staff love having a laugh too, very relaxed

Thanks all for your help, we ate in the hotel restaurant, the D. service was terrible and the food was only ok. Way overpriced!! Lunch in the Boiled Onion was delicious and the staff all very friendly. Dinner in Bella Atina was just superb, can't wait to go back to Drogheda!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DayRag

ellejay wrote: »
    Thanks all for your help, we ate in the hotel restaurant, the D. service was terrible and the food was only ok. Way overpriced!! Lunch in the Boiled Onion was delicious and the staff all very friendly. Dinner in Bella Atina was just superb, can't wait to go back to Drogheda!!
    Hi ellejay,

I'm thinking of booking the D Hotel for this weekend, for a few nights get away with my gf, and was wondering what you thought of the hotel (appart from the restaurant - think I'll try the Bella Atina). Also, did you go to any of the above mentioned bars? Just curious to know what you thought of them, from a non-local's perspective.

Cheers.

DayRag wrote: »
    Hi ellejay,

I'm thinking of booking the D Hotel for this weekend, for a few nights get away with my gf, and was wondering what you thought of the hotel (appart from the restaurant - think I'll try the Bella Atina). Also, did you go to any of the above mentioned bars? Just curious to know what you thought of them, from a non-local's perspective.

Cheers.
    Hi DayRag

The hotel is centrally located, so that's great, and beside scotch hall shopping centre, so that's great too!!

The hotel is going for a contepmorary look. All open plan. Eg, picture of a log fire on lcd tv rather than a real one. The bar counter is tiny and only fits about ten at it, I'm a bit of a bar fly!!!! But there's a lovely table and chairs area outside right at the river.

The bedrooms are spacious but bare - that contempoary/minimalist look again!! Big comfy kingsize bed, but only about a foot off the ground with a shelf thing around it, one big designer chair in room with bubbly thing hanging over it, no table and chairs for room service etc. tea/coffe etc in the wardrobes, no pics on hte walls. All in nuetral shades. I'm not really mad on that style, but my bf loves it there and I'll end up there again for his b'day. Loved the bathroom though, huge mirrors and loads of toilitries.

I don't dislike it enought never to return, just think it's missing something.

Do note though, the staff are lovely and go out of their way to be helpful, but as in most hotels, in short supply!!

That's my opinion on the place, I'm very interested in what you think of it, enjoy!!

DayRag wrote: »
    Hi ellejay,

Cheers.
    Hi DayRag

Sorry I meant to mention a few pubs, during the day, we had very good weather so went to Terminfeckin, there's a gorgous pub there with gorgous food, all homemade even the bread, and the beer garden is just great. -I'd move there 2m!! Can't think of the name of it but as far as I know it's the only one. Anyway, we drank there during the day and wandered around Drogheda town that night.

We probly drank a little too much so can't recall hte names of hte pubs, but we were in about three or four differant ones and they were FANTASTIC!! Live music and good fun in all.

If you want to pm me I'll give you walking directions to them from Hotel, still can't think of the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Hi DayRag

The hotel is centrally located, so that's great, and beside scotch hall shopping centre, so that's great too!!

The hotel is going for a contepmorary look. All open plan. Eg, picture of a log fire on lcd tv rather than a real one. The bar counter is tiny and only fits about ten at it, I'm a bit of a bar fly!!!! But there's a lovely table and chairs area outside right at the river.

The bedrooms are spacious but bare - that contempoary/minimalist look again!! Big comfy kingsize bed, but only about a foot off the ground with a shelf thing around it, one big designer chair in room with bubbly thing hanging over it, no table and chairs for room service etc. tea/coffe etc in the wardrobes, no pics on hte walls. All in nuetral shades. I'm not really mad on that style, but my bf loves it there and I'll end up there again for his b'day. Loved the bathroom though, huge mirrors and loads of toilitries.

I don't dislike it enought never to return, just think it's missing something.

Do note though, the staff are lovely and go out of their way to be helpful, but as in most hotels, in short supply!!

That's my opinion on the place, I'm very interested in what you think of it, enjoy!!

i worked behind thye bar for a while, was terrible. couldnt get the feel of the contemporary surroundings. Im more of a local bar man so i like to interact with customers, the D make the staff act like robots. Depending on yer personality you might like it, but I feel as if evrythinmg is rehearsed and ye cant get a straight answer out of them

Hi Dayrag

Just wondering how you got on in Drogheda and where you stayed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Hi Dayrag

Just wondering how you got on in Drogheda and where you stayed?!

If you don't get an answer, pehaps he found one of the "unsafe" pubs in Drogheda!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If you want an untimate safe pub, go to the "Millmount Bar", better known as the "Top Shop".

Its frequented ALL the time by off duty gardi (most whom live between it and Stameen and the Dublin Road).
    I should know. I worked in it.

There is never any serious trouble in it at all.
    Seen trouble brewing in it a good few times and within SECONDS, the off duty cops stood up and sorted it out rapid. The offenders never came back.

Word has got around that if your a trouble maker, have drugs on you or just the "wrong type of character" - you keep clear of the Top Shop.

Dead nice pub with decent quiet customers. The only downer is that Mick Briody the part owner, is duck-tight with the cash. Won't let you off a cent lol.

...but if I was bringing the wife or girlfriend out to somewhere nice, private and good natured, I'd go there in a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DISCLAMER: The following is simply my opinion, and has nothing to do with boards.ie

Yeah these are good:

McPhails in Laurence Street - The name on the shopfront is Peter Matthews. Probably the best pub in the town - never any trouble.

McHughs in Cord Road - Quiet front bar, with a BIG function room at the back, frequently has concerts and live music.

Clarke's at the top of Peter Street is a nice quiet pub.

Carberry's on the North Quay is a traditional Irish pub with trad music - Nice quiet pub like Clarke's.

The Laurence's Inn - At the bottom of Laurence Street - big time sports bar with friendly locals, you're welcome here in your GAA/Soccer Jerseys. Pub Grub available all day too.

For a bite to eat you can't beat Foley's in Mell. There's also Daly's in Donore, a small village outside the town is yummy.

Bru is nice, but a bit upmarket for my tastes. Good place to bring a date to impress them.

Redz and Barocco in West Street are great disco pubs. Redz has recently opened a vodka cocktails bar. I haven't been in but aparently it's nice, if pricey.

As far as places I wouldn't be a fan of (ahem) -
    Corrigan's in Trinity Street,
    Dolan's Corner in Sunday's Gate
    Murphy's in Thomas Street
    The Central in Peter Street

These are the kind of places that when they have a table quiz the first
    question is "What are YOU looking at?" :)

What horror stories have you heard????
    Apologies for going off topic folks but I used to drink in Drogheda in the 1980s. Some of the above rings a bell.

I used to regularly go to an early house and I can't remember it's name. It was at the top of Lawerence(?) Street under the arch on the right. I only ever drank there in the mornings and the same barman was always on duty - an industrious man who seemed to know all of his customers. He always used the phrase "they couldn't give a continental". I've never heard anyone else using it. It was the only pub that I knew which had a cigarette machine which dispensed 10s (all others doing 20s only). There was also a popular pub opposite which had a pool table (Clarke's?)

I also drank in a pub in West Street called the Horse and Hound(?) and in Whites(?) or Walkers(?) Hotel. There was also the one beside the Garda Station on Narrow West Steet (Gleesons?) and The Trinity Arms(?) for the cricket. Another one was The Viaduct in Shop Street and Hughes on the North Road.

McPhails (with Peter Mathews sign even then) and Carbury's were other favourites.

Just reminiscing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I used to regularly go to an early house and I can't remember it's name. It was at the top of Lawerence(?) Street under the arch on the right. I only ever drank there in the mornings and the same barman was always on duty - an industrious man who seemed to know all of his customers. He always used the phrase "they couldn't give a continental". I've never heard anyone else using it. It was the only pub that I knew which had a cigarette machine which dispensed 10s (all others doing 20s only)
    Sarsfields? Would that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

It was at the top of Lawrence Street under the arch on the right.
    Yep that was Sarsfields.
    There was also a popular pub opposite which had a pool table (Clarke's?)
    Clarke's is at the top of Peter's St. You may be thinking of McHugh's which is directly opposite Sarsfields? There used to be a pool table in the back as far as I remember. Its now a good live music venue.
    I also drank in a pub in West Street called the Horse and Hound(?) and in Whites(?) or Walkers(?) Hotel.
    The Horse and Hound is now Redz. Whites Holtel is now The West Court Hotel. Had my first pint in Whites.
    also the one beside the Garda Station on Narrow West Steet (Gleesons?) and The Trinity Arms(?) for the cricket. Another one was The Viaduct in Shop Street and Hughes on the North Road.

McPhails (with Peter Mathews sign even then) and Carbury's were other favourites.
    All these are still around and little change to them.

Advertisement