Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Remember 'The Irish Rovers'?

Options
  • 01-10-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I've been trying to find a Video of these guys as an xmas Present. It's something my family used to watch when we were all kids. Any Ideas? I think this is the correct description of the show but I could be wrong. I remember one stuffed talking sheep called 'Lamb Chops' and the 'Unicorn Song'. (See youtube video Link at the bottom) Any info would be of great hlep. Cheers!!

"The Irish Rovers" (1971) TV Series [Director]

The Irish Rovers were formed, first as a duo, by George Millar &
    his friend Jim Ferguson in Toronto in 1963. Both boys haled from
    Ireland. In 1994, George's cousin, Joe Millar emigrated to Canada
    & was immediately seized for the group. They were joined by George's
    brother, Will Millar later that year in Calgary & the group was
    on its way. After working successfully in California, where they
    intrôduced the song 'the Unicorn', the team returned, eventually
    to Canada where they began a variety show of Irish folk songs.
    Will Millar left the group in 1995 & Jim Ferguson died in 1997.
    The Rovers now consist of six members including the original founder
    & his cousin. Written by GEORGE W HUDSON

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPsuOEH1fY

Thanks again, Tony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Cant say ive ever heard of this band before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian T

Long time fan of the Irish Rovers TV series here, and a Canadian to boot. Stumbled across this thread while doing some research on the band's television show here in the great white north. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be available on any home video format, and I'd imagine rights clearances on most of the music performed by their guests over the years will prevent the shows from ever surfacing in unedited form.

That said, I'm dying to find someone who actually remembers their show from the 1980's. The 70's show, which is fairly well remembered here and somewhat so abroad, seems to be the only one that gets any attention. The 80's show, which was shot on a set that resembled a warm and inviting pub, had audience members not only in the studio bleachers, but seated at tables that were part of the set. Lots of fun banter and some fairly big guest stars of the day. My guess is that this series ran in the mid 80's, maybe for a couple or three seasons, but it wasn't on the CBC, our public broadcaster, but Global television, one of our private broadcasters. My fondest memory is the night they had Lonnie Donegan on and he performed a catchy number that I've always wanted to here again. It wasn't one of Donegan's "classics," but a newer rock song he must have recorded around the time. I'd give anything to hear it again, but I can't for the life of me remember the title.

THanks for at least remembering the show, and sorry for the late response to this thread. Hope the original poster is still checking back from time to time. Or anyone else with fond memories of this great folk band. They're still performing even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

Brian T wrote: »
    Long time fan of the Irish Rovers TV series here, and a Canadian to boot. Stumbled across this thread while doing some research on the band's television show here in the great white north. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be available on any home video format, and I'd imagine rights clearances on most of the music performed by their guests over the years will prevent the shows from ever surfacing in unedited form.

That said, I'm dying to find someone who actually remembers their show from the 1980's. The 70's show, which is fairly well remembered here and somewhat so abroad, seems to be the only one that gets any attention. The 80's show, which was shot on a set that resembled a warm and inviting pub, had audience members not only in the studio bleachers, but seated at tables that were part of the set. Lots of fun banter and some fairly big guest stars of the day. My guess is that this series ran in the mid 80's, maybe for a couple or three seasons, but it wasn't on the CBC, our public broadcaster, but Global television, one of our private broadcasters. My fondest memory is the night they had Lonnie Donegan on and he performed a catchy number that I've always wanted to here again. It wasn't one of Donegan's "classics," but a newer rock song he must have recorded around the time. I'd give anything to hear it again, but I can't for the life of me remember the title.

THanks for at least remembering the show, and sorry for the late response to this thread. Hope the original poster is still checking back from time to time. Or anyone else with fond memories of this great folk band. They're still performing even now.

Thanks Brian for the post, Its really Freaky & kind of funny that you mentioned Lonnie Donegan as one of your favorite performances because believe it or not my names actually Tony Donegan. Lonnie was taken from his real name Tony I remember reading somewhere. Anyway, Putting that aside, I actually had and may still have a VHS tape of the show from the 80's. Its exactly as you described in the post above, with Pub like qualities and members of the audience stilling in the set. Anyway, what I'm gonna try and do is first off find the tape if it has survived, and If it has I'm going to try and get it mastered on a DVD for safe proofing some memories. :)

I'm very surprised to know they are still playing and would be interested in knowing if they themselves have a copy of the shows and TV appearances, Maybe I could buy from them? Have you any ideas of Website links or email address?! :D Cheers again! Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian T

Here's their official website:
    http://www.irishrovers.info/

Apparently they just finished touring New Zealand. They're doing a bit of Canada for December. I'd have to think they'll hit Ireland again some day. The site only seems to offer phone numbers for booking the band, but that might be a start...

First time I heard Donegan was on an old compilation LP of novelty songs released here in the late 70's when I was a kid. It had a revamped version of My Old Man's a Dustman—more rock than skiffle—that I still wear out to this day (only now it's on my iPod). Can't say I'm a huge follower or anything, but I do like quite a few of his songs.

Best of luck with the hunt for the Rovers TV show.

Barring that, there's this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7OBaqEJM-s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yes, i remember the irish rovers very well , the had a minor hit with the irish rovers way way back ...in my fathers time ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement