Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i change my name ?

Options
  • 30-09-2007 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

ok, nobody i know who got married in last few years has taken their husbands name, so im kinda lost on this one.

I need to change my name on passport, bank ac, Life insurance, Mortage details, Deeds? and just about anything else really. Also im told that there are 2 ways of doing your tax once married and this has me confused cos i dont really know whats best, Anyone here help me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Firstly, there's no need to panic. Anything legally signed under a name recognisably yours (which in Ireland can be just about anything as anyone can just start using any name, though proving that in other cases isn't always easy) will still be valid.

Existing contracts do not change. They record an agreement you entered into at the time you signed it. You were using your maiden name at that point.

A new passport can be obtained by just applying for one. You will need to include your marriage certificate as evidence that you are now using a different name.

Banks etc. you can simply contact much as you would if you changed address. Again, they'll want some sort of evidence that you now use a different name, getting a new passport is a handy way of doing that.

As for tax, simply see which will save you the most money.

It's a choice between having a separate tax-free allowance and tax-band applied to each of your incomes, or a joint one applied to both.

Most allowances (e.g. drugs allowance) are still calculated individually, but then applied to the joint allowance.

If one of you doesn't use up all of your tax-free allowance or if you are in different tax bands to each other (particularly if one of you is unemployed) then it will almost definitely be cheaper to be taxed as a couple. You will probably find that the one of you that was paying less tax is now paying more, but the other is paying less and the difference is in your favour.

Otherwise you probably won't find it makes any difference, and its a matter of which you find more convenient.

Just do the sums on both and go for the one which results in the most money.

Advertisement