Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home insurance claim query. (burglary)

Options
  • 30-09-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

My home was burgled recently. i have been told that for the claim i need proof of purchase and/or photographs of the items stolen. i have no photos and very little receipts as most of the items are old. does this mean that i will getting next to nothing from the insurance?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As I understand it, you do not generally need receipts and the only grey areas are those expensive items that should have been declared specifically for all-risks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is a good question and something I never thought of.

So whats considered expensive...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You don't need the receipts but if claiming for stuff like laptops etc it can help.

Most policies require that anything of huge value (i.e. 1,000 or over) must be named seperately (stops people conjuring up ming vases after the break in) and there is sometimes a total limit for these items.

I really wouldn't worry about receipts for now, if stuff was relatively new and expensive they may require them but other than that they most often take your word for it. Just state on the form that they are x years old or whatever and you don't have the receipts - see what they say. They might take a hard line at first but can always be haggled with!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The insurance company should not be asking for receipt or photographs as how can one be expected to have such things kept.

In your policy terms it will state the amount over which items must be specified. If for example you have a laptop then more than likely that would have had to have been brought to the attention of the insurance company so that it would be covered as it would more than likely exceed the value of unspecified insured items.

Bottom line is check your insurance contract terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Did you pay for any of the items in question by credit card?
    If so, your credit card statement may be acceptable proof.
    Alternatively, the shops where the goods were purchased should be amenable to giving you a copy receipt if you explain the situation to a manager & can tell them what you bought and when and whether you paid cash or CC, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement