Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell - OS

Options
  • 30-09-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be ordering a Vostro in the next week or two. I was going to order it with XP Pro but after reading the negative comments about the software Dell put on them before shipping and the fact I have a copy already, I was thinking of doing what's been suggested here before of ordering with Vista, wiping it and throwing on XP and using that 'til I want to upgrade.

Basically, I'm a bit nervous of wiping the partition and then ending up with a host of problems like wireless not working or something. Anyone have experience doing this and would care to dispel my fears?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should have no problem getting drivers for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Do Dell give you backup CDs and such for drivers and programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

rgt320q wrote:
    ...but after reading the negative comments about the software Dell put on them before shipping ....

what are the negative comments about the software Dell put on them before shipping??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

what are the negative comments about the software Dell put on them before shipping??

It's all bloatware and pointless trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

This might help (haven't tried it myself): http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/. I'm guessing there are other utilities like it, too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement