Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Lessons - Instructor driving in front

Options
  • 30-09-2007 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a 2 hour pre-test lesson with a well-known school recently. I'd never done a lesson before, & when I got there he said his radio was broke, so he drove in front, and observed me from his mirrors. I found this ridiculous, as he was only able to properly observe me on the straight, but what is the norm ? Is there an industry standard for how lessons should be conducted ?

If the instructor had a radio, does the instructor follow from behind and say 'turn left/right up ahead etc' ? At the end of the lesson, we spent 5 minutes with him following, doing 2 laps of left turns & 2 of right, so he could see me turning,

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hi,

I had a 2 hour pre-test lesson with a well-known school recently. I'd never done a lesson before, & when I got there he said his radio was broke, so he drove in front, and observed me from his mirrors. I found this ridiculous, as he was only able to properly observe me on the straight, but what is the norm ? Is there an industry standard for how lessons should be conducted ?

If the instructor had a radio, does the instructor follow from behind and say 'turn left/right up ahead etc' ? At the end of the lesson, we spent 5 minutes with him following, doing 2 laps of left turns & 2 of right, so he could see me turning,

Thanks for any replies
    My instructor followed my with radio contact (turn left/right etc.) to see what my riding was like, then he took the lead with commentary then I went out in front again and he corrected my mistakes over the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

murphaph wrote:
    My instructor followed my with radio contact (turn left/right etc.) to see what my riding was like, then he took the lead with commentary then I went out in front again and he corrected my mistakes over the radio.

Mine was similar to this alright. Your instructor should have had a spare radio, otherwise he can't really help you correct your mistakes. It's also good practice for the test itself where the tester follows you and gives you instruction over the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Defo need a working radio.

Had a 2 hour pre-test myself back in May. 10 minutes going through the rules of the road. Then 40 or so minutes with him in front showing me the way to do things and talking me through them as he did them. Then the remainder with him behind watching me and correcting me etc over the radio.

Actually need to book some more training. Still need to sort out my Aon skills test and get those discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

You should try get a discount on your next one because you didn't get the same treatment as everyone esle.

If they don't agree just leave them short of money at the end anyway. About a score discount should be alright!

Advertisement