Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.....

Options
  • 30-09-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Alrite, im 22 and livin in dublin want to get 125cc bike. first bike. ive being on AON an got a quote of 5790e. doin my theory test next week. PLEASE HELP. any ideas on wat u should do?? give up now??

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BJ2007

witzky wrote:
    Alrite, im 22 and livin in dublin want to get 125cc bike. first bike. ive being on AON an got a quote of 5790e. doin my theory test next week. PLEASE HELP. any ideas on wat u should do?? give up now??

cheers
    to be honest, unless you have a country address to insure it at (and im not condoning this) you will still be paying around the 5k mark if in dublin.

Unfortunately your age is what goes against you. maybe try do a recognised course to try get a discount, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

I take it you've no previous insurance history on two wheels which does mean you're kinda f*cked. If you've no previous bike experience, then I'd say you'll have to do lessons and the test on a bike school bike. To get on-road experience get some prices on a 50cc moped, if you have a full car licence then you're already licenced to use it - it says moped but this covers geared 50cc bikes that meet the criteria also. With that, get yourself some rider training with an approved school, if you pass the assesment then that knocks 250% off of your insurance premium, which will be criminally expensive, even on a 50cc moped. Get quotes from Quinn Direct and Carol Nash

Plan B, is move 25 miles outside Dublin as the insurance in Dublin as basically double that of rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

25% off not 250%!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

:( cheers for that... any idea on a good 50cc???? i haven't clue. i want one to travel to town an back, 4hrs a day travelin is takin de p:ss

thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What kind of commute are you doing around Dublin?
    Is it across the city in heavy traffic or does it involve roads with 80km or even 100km/ph speed limits? A moped is great for some situations but you'll struggle with others.

What bike did you get the quote on?
    Was it a sports bike like an Aprilla RS or Honda NSR? There are loads of group 2 125cc bikes around and I'd imagine the insurance quotes would be less.

• Advertisement

id be travelling from firhouse to bolton st. i got quote on, suzuki GN125 ,2003 1595e. i dont know bout the groups ur talkin bout, i jus dont fancy gettin a noisy moped. so ur sayin look for a 125 ped??? how do the groups work.
    sorry if questions are stupid but im new...

cheers once again

A Suzuki GN 125 is an ideal bike for a beginner, good choice but that insurance quote is mad.

Every bike has an insurance group so Group 1 for a 50cc moped, Group 2 for most 125cc bikes (some 125cc are higher), and so on.
    Lower the group, the cheaper the insurance in theory anyway and that's leaving aside other factors like age, location, etc.

Pm me your email address and I'll email you a list of groups of all the bikes.

I'd also advise you to get a 50cc for a year to build up your NCB.
    And in a few months, do some lessons and apply for your test. You can hire a bike for your test and pass it before buying your first motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cassiel wrote:
    To get on-road experience get some prices on a 50cc moped, if you have a full car licence then you're already licenced to use it - it says moped but this covers geared 50cc bikes that meet the criteria also.

Have they not removed this from new drivers licences?

Del2005 wrote:
    Have they not removed this from new drivers licences?

Yeah, it's gone now, some EU directive. I never understood the 45km/ph restriction. It's more dangerous for a moped rider as they can't keep up with traffic.:confused:
    taken from FAQS on the Dept of Transport website ;

I have a full B (car) licence. Does this entitle me to drive a motorcycle?

A. The holder of a category B licence granted prior to 21 October, 2006 is entitled to drive a moped up to 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 km/hour. All category B licences granted, for the first time, on or after 21 October, 2006 do not hold this entitlement. Such licence holders wishing to drive a category M vehicle would have to obtain a provisional licence in category M and successfully undergo the practical driving test in order to obtain a full licence in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Do lessons on a school bike. Lots of lessons. Aim to go for your full licence and Aon Grade 2 on them. This will bring down your quote for when you get your own bike and will more than likely save you about 3k in the long run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

You can hire a bike from a training school for a test. You need a valid provisional licence. It would be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

micmclo wrote:
    Yeah, it's gone now, some EU directive. I never understood the 45km/ph restriction. It's more dangerous for a moped rider as they can't keep up with traffic.:confused:

it is strange alright, most mopeds do at least 70 these days

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

it is strange alright, most mopeds do at least 70 these days

They aren't mopeds there scooters or step throughs. A moped is the silly little things they have in Europe that kids can drive on the road with no lid. They usually have pedals also. The manufactures made restricted power scooters for the Irish and English (mainly there) markets as that was how our licences where done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Del2005 wrote:
    They aren't mopeds there scooters or step throughs. A moped is the silly little things they have in Europe that kids can drive on the road with no lid. They usually have pedals also. The manufactures made restricted power scooters for the Irish and English (mainly there) markets as that was how our licences where done.

fair enough, but they are essentially the same thing (49cc two stroke engine) and fall under the same umbrella. even mopeds nowadays do 60 or 70

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Get yourself a 50cc scooter (yamaha neos are brilliant) and use it for a year or two, get some no claims and let your age go up. You will probably keep the scooter even when you can get a bigger bike, cos they are so feckin handy. As the others said, a quote of 5k for a 125 would suggest someone was trying to sell an nsr125 or similar - steer well clear of them, you will not get insured on it. Try quinn direct for a quote if you have not done so already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

jackal wrote:
    Get yourself a 50cc scooter (yamaha neos are brilliant) and use it for a year or two, get some no claims and let your age go up. You will probably keep the scooter even when you can get a bigger bike, cos they are so feckin handy. As the others said, a quote of 5k for a 125 would suggest someone was trying to sell an nsr125 or similar - steer well clear of them, you will not get insured on it. Try quinn direct for a quote if you have not done so already.

I go from Firhouse to the Docks each day and a 50cc moped will be fine- you will be spending most of your time filtering through traffic anyway that the extra power of a 125cc will not make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

witzky wrote:
    give up now??

On what bike did you get that quote. On a CBR125 yeah sure that sounds right for a 19 year old, but not for a 22 year old on a ybr125.

Also, do you have points on your licence from cars or another vehicle category?

did you ring CN, Quinn and Adelaide as well?

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 idiotproof

Just to add I'm 22, I live in Dublin and I'm on a Virago 125 and I paid around €1500 with Quinn so all hope is not lost

i got quote with queen today for 1500e on a suzuki gn125. and im gettin lessons win ISM, 10 lessons, 2hr each. an that will bring my insurance down to bout 900e he said. an he told me to try an get my full lience soon after. so thats the plan.
    cheers for all the help!!!!!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

witzky wrote:
    i got quote with queen today for 1500e on a suzuki gn125. and im gettin lessons win ISM, 10 lessons, 2hr each. an that will bring my insurance down to bout 900e he said. an he told me to try an get my full lience soon after. so thats the plan.
    cheers for all the help!!!!!!!!;)
    It's about €50 a pop for a one hour lesson from memory.

You'd be best off going with Quinn for a year or two for cheap insurance to get a No Claims Discount then move to a proper insurer incase you have a claim. QD are very diffucult when it comes to getting money off them and they's try pay you less than your supposed to get etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement