Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French without German?

Options
  • 29-09-2007 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi I am considering becominga secondary teacher but I have a question. I never did German so can I teach French because most of the ones I've seen say Modern Languages.

I was thinking French as my Major Subject and Irish/Religion as my second.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure why you are bringing German into the equation. French would be a the most popular European language in terms of being offered in Irish schools.

If your degree is in French, teach French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vale

Yes but in the H.Dip all you can pick is Modern Languages(2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is Irish not considered a Modern Language?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

At the end of the day, after the Dip, a school will employ you on what you can teach and according to the teaching council, only what you have a degree in. So if you pick Modern languages and religion in the Dip, then you could teach French and Religion. At moment you can teach whatever you want but sounds like the teaching council is going to clamp down on it but no one knows when.
    Don't bring German into it, go forward with your subjects you have

Advertisement