Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new screen

Options
  • 29-09-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

I've got a HP dv2535ea laptop, and I bought an Acer AL1916W LCD screen for use with it at home. I've come across a frequent problem with it. When I'm using the laptop on AC power there's a constant faint flicker on the external LCD. Not like a blank flicker, just a faint kind of transparent flicker of random horizontal lines, some darker or brighter than others. It is sometimes not noticeable. When I unplug the laptop and it's running on battery power, the flicker disappears and the external LCD display is flawless. Nothing happens to the laptop's own display, this only effects the external one. It's running off VGA, the only output the laptop has. The video card is an nVidia Geforce 8400M. Plugging the laptop into a different socket away from the one the LCD is plugged into helps, but not good enough. I have tried placing them away from each other but the flicker persists. I tried attaching additional ferrites to the power cables/vga cables but nothing worked. I also tried running both or either off a surge protector, no change. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Judging by what you have tried it would look like the capacitors in the actual mains adapter for the laptop are interfering with the flatscreen.

Is there anything you could to extend the cable on the low voltage side of the laptop mains adapter to enable you to position the mains adapter as far away from the flat screen as possible to see if it improved the situation?

Just a thought!

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I don't think so, I've tried placing it about 2 metres away and the interference is still there.

Advertisement