Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non business graduate going for the milkround

• 28-09-2007 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I'm a 4th yr Elec Eng student in UCD. I'm considering accounting as it looks like an interesting career that would allow me travel. I don't really know what I want to do but I've been thinking about accountancy as I feel that it gives me more options. I commit to 3/4 years with a company, I qualify and can then decide where to go from there.

Don't really know if this is the right attitude to have. I also don't really know if I'm what the accounting firms in the milkround are looking for.

I got a 2:1 in 1st year, A pass in 2nd year (2 pass by compensations with a 2:2 avg.) and a high enough 2:1 in 3rd year. This year I'm working towards a 1st class honour but would be happy with a 2:1. I'm wondering would my crap results in 2nd year hold me back in this situation?

Any non business graduates have any experience? Or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

You shouldn't have any problems with moving into accountancy if that is what you really want. In interviews obviously you will be asked why you are changing etc. I am currently working on a grad programme with people from science background and degree in languages.

My friend got a 2.1 in first and third year, 2.2 in second year and a 1st this year. In one interview in particular with a big 4 firm she was asked why here results fell in second yr (she had family problems) and once she explained the reasons behind her worse results they accepted it and she got offered the job. If you have a good reason for it with the rest of results been good you should be ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

Having worked in a big 4 and been an interviewer, the big 4 are actively recruiting non-accounting graduates. They bring something different to the table. Generally you need to have good results to get into the big 4. At least a 2.1 and a high 2.1 is preferable. As you can imagine, if you get 1,000 applicants you have to screen them somehow so 2.2 goes first. If you do get the interview, have all your stories right. Why are you changing to a business environment? What do you offer that an accounting graduate can't? etc etc

Think of it from the big 4 perspective. They want rounded individuals who can think outside the box and are not all bean counters. It is my experience that irrespective of what background you come from, it is about having a commercial awareness to spot when something is wrong. The accounting just helps you find it but the big 4 look for smart people irrespective of what their background is. Accountancy degree is just a help.

So go for it. Do the milkround and do your homework on their websites and ask relations who work in business and accounting. Be well prepared and have your stories right. Have confidence. Think of the big picture, that is what accounting firms want. And accountants are like nurses, they will get a job anywhere, particularly in australia.

Advertisement