Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a laptop

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you are planning on playing new game stay away from the last two.
    That sony looks a bit on the expensive side though. I understand you don't want to go with dell but I seriously think you should reconsider. The vostro range are great value for money and dell offer great flexibility with there spec.

If you don't reconsider, look for a laptop with either a 8600GT, 7900gs or 7950gtx as these are great gaming cards. The 7900gs and the 7950gtx are only available in 17" laptops though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mtbr hylo

Cheers.......
    after reading some previous posts Dell seems to get the vote. Vostro seems popular but are they not for "small business"? Is it better to go for xps/inspiron/vostro/latitude based on my preference above?????

Thanks....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mtbr hylo wrote:
    Cheers.......
    after reading some previous posts Dell seems to get the vote. Vostro seems popular but are they not for "small business"? Is it better to go for xps/inspiron/vostro/latitude based on my preference above?????

Thanks....

Woah didn't expect you to reconsider but thought I would give it a shot. Glad it worked.

If you want a 7900gs or a 7950gtx (these are the two best laptop graphics cards) then you'd have to go with either an inspiron or an xps, as I don't think you can get them on the vostro. I'd stay away from lattitudes. They are expensive and I can't seem to see an option for graphics card for them. :confused:

The vostros are targetted at small business but there is nothing to stop you from buying one. If you don't want to go with a 17" (for the better graphics cards) then I would go with the vostros.

Would a 17" laptop bother you? What is you budget?

cheers
    budget is flexible...ca.1000 but 17" is too big for lugging around, 15" is spot on.

Dell outlet?????

mtbr hylo wrote:
    cheers
    budget is flexible...ca.1000 but 17" is too big for lugging around, 15" is spot on.

Dell outlet?????

Dell outlet would save you a bit of money alright. I might spec a vostro up for you later for around a grand or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gofast

we got given this link in college www.pc4me.ie i think you have to be a student (or related to one) but it looks like a alright deal

gofast wrote:
    we got given this link in college www.pc4me.ie i think you have to be a student (or related to one) but it looks like a alright deal

The reason they are only for students is because students get a discount on this software. They are only good if you need the software with them otherwise they are too expensive.

Hey hylo, I managed to spec this up on dell. It's €1040 including vat.

Here's the specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    3 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Matte Jet Black without Camera
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

Much better than the ones you have linked above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If you are planning on playing new game stay away from the last two.
    That sony looks a bit on the expensive side though. I understand you don't want to go with dell but I seriously think you should reconsider. The vostro range are great value for money and dell offer great flexibility with there spec.

If you don't reconsider, look for a laptop with either a 8600GT, 7900gs or 7950gtx as these are great gaming cards. The 7900gs and the 7950gtx are only available in 17" laptops though.

of those three cards is the 7950gtx the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I placed an order for pretty much exactly the spec below but with a better processor - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 Processor (2.0GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache)

and paid about 950 including VAT. Almost paid 1040 though. Start with the most expensive 1500 model and spec from there - works out cheaper.

Hey hylo, I managed to spec this up on dell. It's €1040 including vat.

Here's the specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    3 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM Matte Jet Black without Camera
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

Much better than the ones you have linked above.

• Advertisement

of those three cards is the 7950gtx the best?

Yep, the 7900gs would be the second best. Both of these cards are only available in 17" laptops.

I placed an order for pretty much exactly the spec below but with a better processor - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 Processor (2.0GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache)

and paid about 950 including VAT. Almost paid 1040 though. Start with the most expensive 1500 model and spec from there - works out cheaper.

Could you post up a link please?

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_vostro_1500?c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

from this page got for the more expensive, righthand most option

and then I built to the spec I wanted. Worked out cheaper then going for a cheaper option and bumping up the spec from there.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_vostro_1500?c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

from this page got for the more expensive, righthand most option

and then I built to the spec I wanted. Worked out cheaper then going for a cheaper option and bumping up the spec from there.

That's the same one I have linked above, I just left it at base spec as upgrading things with dell costs a fortune. You could drop the warranty down to one year and then upgrade the processor but some people like the safety of a warranty.

that's what I did - dropped the warranty and went for a better processor. I never pay extra for a warranty! Might come back to bite me eventually, but not too worried til it does!

that's what I did - dropped the warranty and went for a better processor. I never pay extra for a warranty! Might come back to bite me eventually, but not too worried til it does!

Yeah I'm the same but like I said some people like that safety net.

thanks for the help lads......I went for that spec above (inspiron tho!) with a couple of minor tweaks.....6 week delivery tho

Advertisement