Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No EOS...so who else?

Options
  • 27-09-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Every second person in here (me excluded, sorry!) seems to think EOS should go. Fair enough - so who do you think would/could/should take his place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think he should go either.

I guess you would start by assessing the suitabillity of the likes of Bradley and Kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think he should stay also, maybe this fiasco will straighten him out on his player rotation (or lack of) policy.

But if he does go, a manager appointment structure similar to the FAI's would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

He has to go. His lack of player rotation/development has been shocking. Also, his tactics seem stale.

People have mentioned Jones and Ruddock as possible replacements. I think Eddie Jones would be excellent for Ireland.

I'd rather Mick McCarthy than Kidney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Yes, because the FAI are shining lights when it comes to managment selection!!

Can we all lay off Eddie? The guy has a job to do, and that is what he's doing. If his terms say he's required to reach the Semi's, can we wait and see if he does it before we release the hounds??

Oh, and if another person refers to a win in the Argy match as being a miracle, I will go postal

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I don't think he should go either.

I guess you would start by assessing the suitabillity of the likes of Bradley and Kidney.

Cheika wouldn't be in with a shot would he? The coach wouldn't haven't to be Irish would they? It would be very bad if he got it - I reckon we would be begging EOS to come back!

Anyway, never mind - he's not going.
    Amazing how quickly people forget games like Ireland v England in Croker. I very much doubt anyone said anything very negative about Eddie back then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭palance

Eddie Jones or Nick Mallett. Bradley's not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Even if we're out before the 2nd round, would prefer to see him stay for one or two (assuming things don't get much worse) more 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

prospect wrote:
    I think he should stay also, maybe this fiasco will straighten him out on his player rotation (or lack of) policy.

But if he does go, a manager appointment structure similar to the FAI's would be ideal.

Oh for God's sake tell me you are kidding :eek:
    If you go the FAI approach you will get the cheapest "yes" man they can find pushed together with a part-time former great who is sadly very unwell.
    You can't change teach an old dog new tricks as they say.
    EOS willalways be conservative, becuase he is always looking at keeping hiw win/loss ratio down. Thus he will always try and pick his best team. He will not experiment. Also he will not try and bring in experience or up and coming individuals since he probably doesn't want any competition from within the management ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Bring back Gatty! I actually would like to see him back, but obviously he won't. I think a top international coach like Jones or Mallett wouldn't take over a team which are at the top of their cycle of development, and which will have to be rebuilt after this World Cup and in the two years after.

I reckon we're in for a fall guy like Staunton, whether it's Eddie or a new man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

+ 1 for Eddie Jones. It won't happen though. Even if we don't get through Eddie will not step down. We will have at least one more year of him. He will want to prove himself by having one more crack at the 6 nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jmayo wrote:
    Oh for God's sake tell me you are kidding :eek:

Of course I am. I didn't think my completely ridiculous comment even needed a smiley to indicate the high level of sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

the special one . .

. . it has to be !

If Clive can switch from Rugby to Soccer (very successfully:)) then why not the other way around !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

prospect wrote:
    Of course I am. I didn't think my completely ridiculous comment even needed a smiley to indicate the high level of sarcasm.

Wasn't sure my sarcasm radar not working well at the moment.
    I thought the FAI did have a "commiteeee" to look at appointment of new manager, but of course Delaney's criteria was price at end of day so waste of time.

What is EOS's salary like?
    If they want to get rid of him it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I think he should stay but the IRFU should tell him that he has to work with a Team Manager. Bring in a top ex player like Keith Wood to be the bridge with the players, media and also advise on team selection.

If EOS wont have that then he should be moved on. There is a yes men culture around him and he is effectively unchallenged or questioned in his role. I don't think it's the best set up for the Irish Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Daft Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

jmayo wrote:
    What is EOS's salary like?
    If they want to get rid of him it will cost.
    Sure maybe if the old music career takes off, he won't be too bothered about the money?
    eos.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Alan Gaffney or Robbie Deans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

George Hook!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

someone from the board.ie Rugby forum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Sir Clive anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's the problem, there isn't an obvious replacement. Like the way we're stuck with Stan due to a complete lack of options.

And is EOS any better than the hapless Stan though? I'm not so sure now. He's made a dog's dinner out of this WC to the point where we need a miracle to qualify, on the lines of Stan's 'heroes' needing to beat the Germans 3-0 to qualify. In short, a bit unlikley.

Not much within our own Island, Declan Kidney maybe? Otherwise we go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Marshy wrote:
    Sir Clive anyone?
    I'd love to see SCW (seriously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

dub_skav wrote:

I'd rather Mick McCarthy than Kidney.

Yeah you wouldn't want the only Irish coach who has actually won a top competition would you? No that would be stupid. Instead we will get somebody like Eddie Jones who has done absolutely nothing worthwhile in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm happy enough with EOS for the time being. I can find fault with his lack of rotation and poor use of the bench, but is it really his fault if our best players don't show enough endeavor, savvy and aggression to put away the likes of Georgia and Namibia convincingly? They're good enough and expirienced enough and should've been able to make decisions on the field to change things when it wasn't working. Not Eddie's fault IMO.
    I honestly can't think of anyone realistically that's available to replace him. He won't like what's happened in the WC and I think we will see changes for the 6N. He knows his reputation is f@cked otherwise.

Yeah you wouldn't want the only Irish coach who has actually won a top competition would you? No that would be stupid. Instead we will get somebody like Eddie Jones who has done absolutely nothing worthwhile in 4 years.

As I said, no I wouldn't. But that's just personal prejudice due to his being a snake in the grass.

Punchbowl wrote:
    Can we all lay off Eddie? The guy has a job to do, and that is what he's doing.
    Is he really? his job was to have us physically and mentally prepared for the WC, the guys dont look like being prepared in either sense. They look physically weak and there has been no invention at all. He has to take responsibility foor this.

Furthermore, a team he picks plays sh*te against the worst team in the tournament so he then picks the same team again?? Fair enough. Then he goes and makes some drastic changes when that backfires except he makes them in the wrong areas (bar Reddan) and that backfires too. Now for the Argies match where we will need a strong platform, he has ignored the fact that our lineout has been appalling thus far ane decided NOT to play either O'Kelly or Quinlan, either of whom offer us decent possession (as proven by malcolm when he came on against France and all of a sudden by some miracle we started winning our lineouts) in the biggest match of our tournament and the most important match we'll probably play this year.

That and the fact that he has had more talent to work with than any other manager in Irish rugby history and yet he still has won exactly nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dub_skav wrote:
    As I said, no I wouldn't. But that's just personal prejudice due to his being a snake in the grass.

Thank you for that post. In one fell swoop you have summarised much of what is wrong with Irish sport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Thank you for that post. In one fell swoop you have summarised much of what is wrong with Irish sport.

I'm glad you agree that having a man whose word cannot be trusted and who puts himself first at the top is what is wrong with Irish sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I'm coming around to the idea of letting Kidney finish this current season with Munster then let him take over the Ireland job. Maybe Bradley to Munster or Jim Williams bumped up the ladder with Galliamh as assistant.

Advertisement