Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find sloes

Options
  • 26-09-2007 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here know of somewhere close to the Bray area where I can find sloes growing? I was over on Anglesey the other week and the bushes were almost overflowing with the things, but unfortunately I couldn't bring many back with me (only a kilo :( ) but I need a few more. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Replying to my own post here ... found some today at the base of the path going up to Bray Head. They're beginning to get a bit shrivelled, but managed to pick a kilo with no problem. Roll on Christmas :) (I'm making Sloe Gin in case anyone's wondering.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

How do you make sloe gin? I've loadsa sloes, and a half remembered recipe for sloe wine from my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are lots of 'recipes', but mostly the only difference is in the relative quantities of gin, sloes and sugar. The one I use is ...

500g sloes
    250g sugar
    0.75l bottle gin

Wash and prick the sloes, or pop them in the freezer overnight to split them. Put the sloes, gin and sugar in a jar (a glass topped preserving jar is ideal) and seal. Shake the jar daily for two weeks, then weekly. After 2-3 months, strain out the sloes (through muslin, or a coffee filter) and bottle. You can leave the sloes in a little longer and it will improve, but no more than about 6 months. Once bottled it'll keep for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Thank you, I will try that. the recipe from my childhood is basically sloes, sugar, water, mix, then bury until Christmas. Of course we never lasted that long, and had sloe wine at Hollowe'en!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

SarahMc wrote: »
    Thank you, I will try that. the recipe from my childhood is basically sloes, sugar, water, mix, then bury until Christmas. Of course we never lasted that long, and had sloe wine at Hollowe'en!

Hi
    Is it the Bray or Gstones side of Bray Head??
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Zombie :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement