Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance woes!

Options
  • 26-09-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just after upgrading my car and had to transfer over insurance as well as pay an extra 475 odd cause its a bigger / newer wagon. As I've moved from Salthill to Oranmore recently I thought to inform the insurance company of this (AXA) through my broker...then I find out through my broker they're charging me an extra 145 for moving to Oranmore, 30 of which is some changing fee.

I thought if anything country driving would be cheaper (less likely to have car nicked - scratched etc etc). Have I been done or have I been done

Kickintheteeth.com :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Arm-and-a-leg.net

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Yup - insurance up almost 650 in one week - pfff!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Get a quote elsewhere, if its cheaper either, tell your current insurance company and see if they match it, or cancel and go with the cheaper quote. Forget brokers deal direct....:cool:

Direct - Axa quoted me 400 more. Fee was from Axa not from us - afaik you can't move your insurance mid way through? Are there penalties for this?

My main thing was that living in "the country" is more expensive insurance wise that living in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thats bananas!

Maybe living in the country = higher chance you'll drink drive etc.? Damn insurance :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Nothing stopping you from getting a quote and compare costs to see if its worth switching...
    I thought if anything country driving would be cheaper (less likely to have car nicked - scratched etc etc). Have I been done or have I been done
    When I moved out to the country my insurance went down by about 50 yo-yo's, mind you the way some folks drive, I'm thinking of buying a Tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Cancel your policy and get a rebate. And tell them they are a punch of Tossers too. Ring someone direct like FBD. Insurance quotes go on Statisitics; A County Address would be cheaper than any City Address in Galway. This has mainly got to do with Car Theft more than anything else. Make sure you give your address as Oranmore, Co. Galway and not Oranmore, Galway. The Co. bit is the important bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

Always deal direct. AXA quoted me €400 last time i was renewing, i got onto the broker the father uses and they quoted me €475 for the axa policy. Silly business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

The only thing with canceling a current policy is that your no claims discount is counted in years.
    So it lets say you canceled it 11mts into your policy you'd lose those 11mts, i.e not gain the ncd for almost a year.

brinepacer wrote:
    Always deal direct. AXA quoted me €400 last time i was renewing, i got onto the broker the father uses and they quoted me €475 for the axa policy. Silly business.

Missing the point there Hotwheels and brinepacer - these are AXA charges

When renewing my policy last July I rang AXA direct and they quoted me 300-400 MORE than the broker did (and i had the policy through axa with the broker). I know brokers have to make their cut but that one was weird

Good point on the no claims - Im about to turn 24 and need all my years I can get (only have 1 so far) and alot of insurance companies wont talk to me cause my car is 2 litre or because ive less than 2 years no claims. Seems im hockied until renewal time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

damalo wrote:
    J As I've moved from Salthill to Oranmore recently

Oranmore is just a rougher place then obviously :D
    (especially since I started visiting)

or

It's a very wealthy place and you might crash into an expensive car (like my GTI :D )
    damalo wrote:
    Yup - insurance up almost 650 in one week - pfff!

Sickener alright that's more than mine for the year

Seven Worlds will Collide

Oranmore is just a rougher place then obviously :D
    (especially since I started visiting)

or

It's a very wealthy place and you might crash into an expensive car (like my GTI :D )

Race ya!...oh wait maybe thats why :D My M Sport would prob kick your ass anyways so lets leave it at that :)

damalo wrote:
    Race ya!...oh wait maybe thats why :D My M Sport would prob kick your ass anyways so lets leave it at that :)

But my c0ck is bigger than yours, and that's all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; it sounds like you're getting fleeced.

I've never run into not being able to change either address or car midway through a year, and I've never been charged for either. Similarily, I've also never been charged for temporary transfers.

When your policy finishes, do a lot of shopping around. In the mean time, contact Axa for a breakdown of their charges.

Incidentally, what type of car did you change from/to?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote:

Gay post again from Johncleary :D

OP, ring every company that will give you a quote, then go back to your crrent insurer and tell them you got a lower quote (even if you didn't) and ask them to match it. Either they will (happy days) or they'll say fine, take it (in which case you have to swallow your pride and say well maybe not) :rolleyes:
    I've saved hundreds over the last few years by not accepting my current insurers quote and ringing around - they usually match the lower quote

Yeah I am alright - as I said I'd like to keep the no claims cause alot of companies wont quote me based on age / engine size / no claims bonus time

Fey - Got a 03 BMW 318Ci M Sport. 2 Litre. Its a nice set of wheels (was driving a Pgot 406)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hey JC, you and the OP could 'marry' each other and drive off into the sunset in your his'n'hers beemers.

OP you have been raped by your insurance company for no good reason. Tell them to enjoy the money as you won't be renewing with them.

'cptr

damalo wrote:
    Yeah I am alright - as I said I'd like to keep the no claims cause alot of companies wont quote me based on age / engine size / no claims bonus time

Fey - Got a 03 BMW 318Ci M Sport. 2 Litre. Its a nice set of wheels (was driving a Pgot 406)

Sorry but have to laugh here. You reckon a 318 would thrash an MK5 GTI? :D:D:D

Hey JC, you and the OP could 'marry' each other and drive off into the sunset in your his'n'hers beemers.

OP you have been raped by your insurance company for no good reason. Tell them to enjoy the money as you won't be renewing with them.

'cptr

Will you respray my 320 and add a badboy bonnet and slop on a '7 deadly sins' shopping list? :)

JohnCleary wrote:
    Will you respray my 320 and add a badboy bonnet and slop on a '7 deadly sins' shopping list? :)
    Nope, only one car in this town gets the 'sins' on it. Mine.

I was originally planning to list a load of chocolate bars on the door (Mars, KitKat, Crunchie, Wispa..etc.) You could do that if you wanted.

• Advertisement

I was originally planning to list a load of chocolate bars on the door (Mars, KitKat, Crunchie, Wispa..etc.) You could do that if you wanted.

Ah I can't steal your idea, it just wouldn't be unique :(

Maybe I could do crisp flavours? Cheese & Onion, Salt & Vinegar, Prawn Cocktail, Smoky Bacon... care to add? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

sgthighway wrote:
    Cancel your policy and get a rebate. And tell them they are a punch of Tossers too. Ring someone direct like FBD. Insurance quotes go on Statisitics; A County Address would be cheaper than any City Address in Galway. This has mainly got to do with Car Theft more than anything else. Make sure you give your address as Oranmore, Co. Galway and not Oranmore, Galway. The Co. bit is the important bit.

but be careful, it might fek up your no claims bonus, they might discard this year alltogether

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There was a shed of a yellow 1.6 Sub with the "sins shopping list" and WRX stickers all over it I saw in Salthill a couple of times.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery - I'm going to buy a Subaru and put JohnClearys 'crisp flavours' list on it just to see if any of the brainless twonks copy me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Surely you'd be better off with: Milk, Bread, Eggs, Pasta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Nice wheels OP, threaten to leave...guaranteed to come down, they want to keep you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement